Pistol Position Help- 10m AP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kbean

Pistol Position Help- 10m AP

Post by kbean »

Any recommendations for books, videos, coaching for 10m air pistol?
Looking to improve hold and position for young shooters.
Thanks!
eugene

Re: Pistol Position Help- 10m AP

Post by eugene »

Pistol Shooting the Olympic Disciplines

Mastering Competitive Pistol Shooting

These two alone have a ton of material to absorb.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

kbean wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:04 pm Any recommendations for books . . . .
What's on YOUR shelf?

This last one, United States Army Pistol Marksmanship Manual, dollar-for-dollar BEST value out there: at $5.95 Hardcopy high-quality, and/or "pre-view" for .99-cents for bad Kindle images, on Amazon:

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/United-States-Pi ... 727&sr=8-1
nCognitos

Post by nCognitos »

Yes, I've been teaching myself to shoot via YouTube and these two resources greatly helped me. I was a type one trigger puller but since changing to type 2, there has been a marked improvement in my performance, (page 28 in the first link).

https://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.asp ... ooting.pdf

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/06 ... ng-part-5/
Oldnslow

Post by Oldnslow »

nCognitos, thank you for the links to those references. You mentioned that the advice on page 28 of the ISSF document was useful to you.
There, the author describes two different triggering methods:

"1. progressive and continuous pressure

and

2. pressure with preparation – gradual triggering"

This second method, the author says, "...consists of pulling the trigger
between the first and second leg with more pressure than the first technique, but without firing
a shot." He also says it is "fast and efficient."

I am struggling to understand this second method and how it differs from the first and any clarification would be most welcome.

Thanks again
nCognitos

Post by nCognitos »

Well, I can only describe my case.

I shot rifle for many years, first .22 LR at school and university, then full bore 7.62 and finally deer stalking with a .270 and 6.5x55. Then I gave it up when my kids were born and I'm going back after a very long gap, teaching myself at home with YouTube as my coach.

Throughout my target rifle days, I was taught and I practised the type 1 trigger pull. That is take off the first stage, get to the plateau and then slowly squeeze through the second stage while holding the rifle on target. The point being you held the rifle steady and the trigger took care of itself, the trigger break should always come as a mild surprise, rather than a deliberate action. Deer stalking in the UK needed a similar technique, perhaps a little more deliberate but similar, typically shooting at 50m to 100m with a 4x scope.

So, when I came to air pistol, I tried doing the same thing but it really wasn't working for me, I simply was not firing before my sights started to shake. I don't know why, perhaps it was the required trigger pressure but I'd get 5 in the black and 5 everywhere else. This was the type 1 technique, it was taking me too long to get the shot off. Being 30 years older than when I last fired a target rifle probably doesn't help as well.. :)

So I changed to type two, raise the pistol slightly above the aiming zone, breathe out at the same time taking in the first stage, settle on target, refine my sight picture and then deliberately put in the final squeeze to break the trigger and fire. So, it's a much faster and more conscious action, I'm not pulling the trigger, I'm still squeezing but it's a decision to commit to the second stage squeeze. My aim is steadier and what I am refining now Is how much pressure to give it in the second stage, just enough to break the trigger but not so much that I pull the shot.

I think the difference between the two techniques is that with type 1, you hope the trigger will break soon, while in type 2 you know when the trigger will break.

What really helped me were the graphs included in that section.

I am the last person who should be giving advice, as I don't know what I am doing but my PB jumped by 38 points in two days by moving to a more deliberate second stage squeeze and break. I hope this helps.
Oldnslow

Post by Oldnslow »

That makes sense; thank you!