Morini Grip Finish Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Church Key

Morini Grip Finish Question

Post by Church Key »

I got a new Morini 162MI in early February and am really happy with it. I've sanded down a few grip high spots and it now fits me extremely well. Wondering what to use, if anything, to even out the color of the sanded spots. It's no big deal, but looking for suggestions/ideas.
eugene

Re: Morini Grip Finish Question

Post by eugene »

Sweat of the trainings does it :)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've used Watco Danish oil on all my various grips after making adjustments. Easy to apply, and easy to refinish additionally sanded spots. Pretty much nay brand of Danish oil should work.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Rink uses Scherell’s Schaftol on their grips. It has been hard to find in the US, since Larry passed. Ballistol will work (virtually the same stuff) but it is dark and will darken your grips. Ballistol sells a clear product, called Universal, that I was able to buy from Amazon.

http://www.schaftol.de/English/english.html

https://ballistol.com/
Attachments
A753176E-F6EB-497A-A134-0369A5E3DFD0.jpeg
FC0AA82B-AF41-470C-9DC5-1C97C3C8C90B.jpeg
Church Key

Post by Church Key »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered the clear Ballistol from Amazon as I use the regular stuff on BP firearms and am familiar with it. It's like the old song: "Do you remember Grandmas Lye Soap"
Sing it out, all over the place,
for pots and pans, and dirty dishes,
And for your hands,
And for your face!

Look up what Ballistol can be used for and prepare to be surprised. It ranges from an antiseptic to a gun cleaner. On the smell level it = Hoppes #9.
NBW

Post by NBW »

I had my Rink grip finished with Scherell’s Schaftol. In my opinion it was not a wise decision as it contains silicone. If you subsequently decide to add filler/putty to reshape your grip you can have problems with adhesion.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

We have never had a problem adjusting grips finished with Scherell’s.

Rink website, with epoxy grip putty, silicone grip putty, and Scherell’s.
https://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php?p1=400&p2=308
NBW

Post by NBW »

I like to add weight to the base of my palm shelf using 3M mounting tape. I have never had a problem before, but the the tape would not stick to the new grip that had been treated with Scherell’s.
I have also been using Milliput epoxy modelling putty, for many years, to fit my grips and that wouldn’t adhere to the Scherell treated grip either.
I had to de-silicone the grip with xylene before anything would stick.
I haven’t had this problem before when modifying grips that have been treated with linseed, danish or walnut oil.
I wasn’t particularly impressed with the finish that the Scherell’s gave either, even after applying many coats.
Just my opinion.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Scherell’s can take a LONG time to dry thoroughly. Fresh from Germany, Rink grips will stain things pretty easily, even after a couple weeks in shipping (admittedly sealed in a plastic bag). My hand always feels oily after handling one until they've "aged" a bit..
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:44 pm Scherell’s can take a LONG time to dry thoroughly. Fresh from Germany, Rink grips will stain things pretty easily, even after a couple weeks in shipping (admittedly sealed in a plastic bag). My hand always feels oily after handling one until they've "aged" a bit..
My hand was brownish purple after I handled mine. I have another one inbound, I wish it wasn't in a plastic bag. Somewhere I read that someone had ants all over theirs feasting on the oil.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

The bottle of Scherrell's I got from Rink is nearly clear, just a slight shade of amber. I think there is a dyed version, which might stain, but mine certainly doesn't. And I've had zero trouble with putty sticking after applying it, either on the wood or over the putty and wood, after. It's great stuff IMO.

Here's the thread about Texas ants loving it: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60215
Church Key

Post by Church Key »

OP here - I got clear Ballistol from Amazon; was shipped here from the Netherlands. It was a 0.67 ounce bottle (teensy little critter). Worked fine by dabbing a light amount on a cloth and gently rubbing it in. Matched the finish perfectly. That said, believe that any clear mineral oil would also work well. Thanks for the suggestions.