Rink for Baikal 46-M Grip Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
B Lafferty

Rink for Baikal 46-M Grip Question

Post by B Lafferty »

I have a grip on my 46-M that I purchased about eight years ago through a fellow I found here in this forum. The grip came as a blank with shelf that I patiently dremmeled and filed down to a comfortable and functional fit. However, compared to my Benelli Kite grip and sight line, the Izzy grip leaves a lot to be desired. Mainly, the Izzy sight line is much higher above the hand than with the Kite. Measuring from the top of the rear sight to the top of the shooting hand in the grip, the distance on the Kite is .75 inches vs. 1.25" for the Izzy.

That explains the difference in sight line. I'm hesitant to spend any more time trying to dremmel/file the grip now on the Izzy. Looking at Rink grips available for the 46-M, it looks like the Rink grip would be much closer to what I've become accustomed to and like about the Kite grip. Can someone who has a Rink grip on their 46-M give me a measurement to confirm this before I order from Rink?

Thank you in advance.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Brimfire

Re: Rink for Baikal 46-M Grip Question

Post by Brimfire »

My Rink grip is currently winging its way from Germany. When/if it gets through post Brexit Customs I'll be happy to help with dimensions, etc.
Rover

Post by Rover »

C'mon, man! Fix the grip you have instead of spending a chunk of cast for a grip you will STILL have to fix.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:20 am C'mon, man! Fix the grip you have instead of spending a chunk of cast for a grip you will STILL have to fix.
I don't "have" to fix anything. A Rink grip might require adjustment, but I expect that the Rink grip will fit better in other ways as well.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Brimfire wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:18 am My Rink grip is currently winging its way from Germany. When/if it gets through post Brexit Customs I'll be happy to help with dimensions, etc.
Thanks!
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

I will measure it tonight. Form my memory Rink grip does bring the top of the sight closer to the top of the hand.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Lenny wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:45 pm I will measure it tonight. Form my memory Rink grip does bring the top of the sight closer to the top of the hand.
Thank you. Assuming that's the case, I'll probably order a Rink grip to see me through while I put money aside for a Steyr or Morini air pistol.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

[quote="B Lafferty" post_id=305310 time=1614369196
Thank you. Assuming that's the case, I'll probably order a Rink grip to see me through while I put money aside for a Steyr or Morini air pistol.
[/quote]

It's 1.25" with Rink.

Maybe it was the angle that made it feel different.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Lenny wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:55 pm [quote="B Lafferty" post_id=305310 time=1614369196
It's 1.25" with Rink.

Maybe it was the angle that made it feel different.
[/quote]
Looking at the photos on the Rink site, It's pretty clear that the hand sits further forward than on my grip. The upper part of my had is more under the rear sight than it would be with the Rink grip. I think I'll dig out the dremel and see what I can do. Thanks for the information!
ABerryhill

Post by ABerryhill »

If you'd like, I'd be happy to 3d scan your Benelli Kite grip and remake if for your IZH. One of the advantages of the IZH is that there is so little of the frame in the grip, that you can put just about any grip shape and angle on it. I can set it up so that your hand sits in just the same spot in relation to the trigger and sights. I do just this sort of job for shooters all the time. I print with a wood composite material too so that it really does feel like a wood grip in your hand. Search this site and the Bullseye forum for lots of reviews of my work and see pics at PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

All best,
Andrew

Precision Target Pistol Grips
Brimfire

Post by Brimfire »

Just got my Rink grip so I broke out the very near calipers and measured the distance between the top edge of the rearsight blade to my hand. The standard grip came in at 33.5mm and my new Rink gave 31.6mm.

Barely 2mm of difference. I did take some photos to illustrate this but I'm still a stranger here and haven't worked out how to post them.

That said, after the standard grip, the Rink is in a different league - it feels better in pretty much every way.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Rink is well worth the money spent. The shelf will never move. Looks nice as well.
ArTee

Post by ArTee »

I have both a hand formed grip from the 46, a blank I carved and a Rink. If you make sure you supply RINK with the proper dimensions it will come to you close to perfect. However short of being in Germany and hand fitting the grip, like an expensive suit, nothing is perfect. The Rink will probably take some work. Mine did, You have to think about what it is that does and does not "fit". And you have to consider your skill level. I Rink most all my guns and I also fit my guns with the original grips too.

Your hand changes over time day, hour, week and year. What fit perfectly an hour ago does not later.

The rough blank that comes with the gun in Russia is supposed to be fitted by the gunsmith and coach to the hands of the shooter. Since that's not the case here you have to do the best you can. If you have the $$ fly to Germany. Second choice is to make a mold of your hand. Reality? Well fill out the form, make a tracing, and get the best possible dimensions required, then when it arrives fit it carefully a bit at a time. My 46 fit exactly right. My 6004 needed some cutting in the palm ridges. And my Toz 35M my is worth ever $ spent.

If you can find a copy of grip making on the web and see what the requirement are considered 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the fitting process you'll get an idea of what to look for. For example, the "snuff box" area is of 1st consideration. All the rest then falls from that. Pilkington did have a link but it seems to have been disabled. Maybe someone has a copy of the data you might need. That data is very good and helped me.

Best of luck.
RT
pooklord

Post by pooklord »

Hi ArTee

I have been trying to make decent grip from the walnut blocks that came with my TOZ 35M for some time now, so I read your post with considerable interest. More than once, I have been tempted to get a set of Rink grips, but I have decided not to give up.

You mention "a copy of grip making on the web " -- what are you referring to? Could it be this document: http://www.airforceshooting.org/GripFitting.pdf

You also mention "snuff box area". I could not find an explanation in the document I mentioned, nor through google or duckduckgo.com searches.
What is it?

Thanks!

Matthew
ArTee

Post by ArTee »

1st the that comes with the TOZ 35M is not the same as the IZH 46M which is softer and easier to work. I have a a bunch of data off of IGOR's Blog relating to grips. I worked both grips and the 35 was a bear and almost ate my dremmel.

Grip fitting I picked up off of:
GUIDA TECNIA, Pistola ad aria compressa ... It's in English, also TENRINGS COACHING essentials of the pistol grip:
www.tenrings.co.uk pistols@tenrings.co.uk

I hope this helps. Wear a mask, take your time.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Brimfire wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:54 am Just got my Rink grip so I broke out the very near calipers and measured the distance between the top edge of the rearsight blade to my hand. The standard grip came in at 33.5mm and my new Rink gave 31.6mm.

Barely 2mm of difference. I did take some photos to illustrate this but I'm still a stranger here and haven't worked out how to post them.

That said, after the standard grip, the Rink is in a different league - it feels better in pretty much every way.
I have a grip on my 46-M that came as a blank from someone I came across here in this forum maybe 9 or 10 years ago. I've got it to where it fits pretty well. I've decided to not put a Rink or Andrews copy of my Benelli grip on the 46-M simply because the weight of the pistol is a bit to much for me as I age. Spending close to $2K on a new air pistol really isn't in the cards at present. So, my plan is to buy a basic Hammerli AP20 and a slimline cylinder for it. I'll have Andrew scan and copy my Benelli grip for the AP20. With any luck that will get me through the next few years.