Regulated 10m Air Rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ejcrist

Regulated 10m Air Rifles

Post by ejcrist »

I'm brand new to shooting 10m air rifle. I borrowed another guy's FWB 300 so I could participate, and after my first match last week I kinda got hooked and now I want to get my own rifle and shoot every match. I'm used to shooting Field Target and have a regulated rifle for that. I would think a regulated rifle would be preferable for 10m as well since you're firing 60 shots, and even though an unregulated rifle would be able to cover that in a single fill I'd think you'd lose some velocity over the course which could affect point of impact. A lot of 10m rifles I looked at online appeared to be unregulated but it doesn't specify it in the spec's. The ones that are regulated state it in the descriptions (FWB 800x, etc.). So are most 10m rifles unregulated? If so, wouldn't you be at a disadvantage with an unregulated rifle?
Piefou

Re: Regulated 10m Air Rifles

Post by Piefou »

What do you mean by regulated/unregulated ?

Considering the main match PCP manufacturers (Walther, Fein, Anschutz, Steyr ...), all the rifles shoot the same way.
With a fill, you can shoot ~250/300 pellets, and below ~100/150 bar, velocity starts to decline slowly.
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Piefou wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:23 pm What do you mean by regulated/unregulated ?
https://daystate.com/regulated-pcp/
rmca

Post by rmca »

For serious 10m ISSF shooting forget unregulated rifles.
Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Walther, Pardini, etc. all have a regulated pcp system.
With a decimal scoring system, you can't afford a shift in POI.

Hope this helps
ejcrist

Post by ejcrist »

Yes, that helps tremendously. That's exactly what I was thinking on my way to Airguns of Arizona. I just got back and a FWB 800x followed me home so I'm good. I thought about some of the entry level rifles briefly but every time I've bought something lesser than what I needed I ended up spending twice as much, so for this once I wanted to avoid that so I went with the 800x. It's going to take me a while to set it up for fit since it has so many adjustments but I'm confident this rifle will serve me well.
Piefou

Post by Piefou »

Shooterer wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:51 pm
Piefou wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:23 pm What do you mean by regulated/unregulated ?
https://daystate.com/regulated-pcp/
Thank you !

Ok so i didn't even know that unregulated PCP existed, it was kinda obvious in my mind.

So considering ISSF match PCP, all airguns are regulated.

@ejcrist : Beware with all the 800x adjustments. Keep it simple, dont twist the rear stock.
Without advices, you can quickly set all adjustments to accomodate a bad position and still be confortable ... but a bad position still give bad shots ^^
(Especially the rear stock. Just dont do it please xD I saw a loooot of shooters tuning it first, and then complain that they dont understand whats going on)
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
spektr

Post by spektr »

ejcrist wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:15 pm I just got back and a FWB 800x followed me home so I'm good. I thought about some of the entry level rifles briefly but every time I've bought something lesser than what I needed I ended up spending twice as much, so for this once I wanted to avoid that so I went with the 800x. It's going to take me a while to set it up for fit since it has so many adjustments but I'm confident this rifle will serve me well.
Congrats. The rifle is awesome. It will take you a while to set it up. Trust me, unless you have a coach to help, it can get maddening. BUT dont be afraid to move things, you can always go back. The biggest help for me was to add a bunch of buttstock weight, It just feels a bit nose heavy for my taste, and that one change made it so much less tiring to shoot......

Tell me you got the red one....
ejcrist

Post by ejcrist »

spektr wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:53 pm
ejcrist wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:15 pm I just got back and a FWB 800x followed me home so I'm good. I thought about some of the entry level rifles briefly but every time I've bought something lesser than what I needed I ended up spending twice as much, so for this once I wanted to avoid that so I went with the 800x. It's going to take me a while to set it up for fit since it has so many adjustments but I'm confident this rifle will serve me well.
Congrats. The rifle is awesome. It will take you a while to set it up. Trust me, unless you have a coach to help, it can get maddening. BUT dont be afraid to move things, you can always go back. The biggest help for me was to add a bunch of buttstock weight, It just feels a bit nose heavy for my taste, and that one change made it so much less tiring to shoot......

Tell me you got the red one....

Roger that. Yeah I spent the last couple hours getting it to where I think I've got it about right. Like you said, I can always re-adjust or tweak if necessary. My ISSF should be in this week so I'll have to go through the motions again with the jacket on. I'll tell ya though, I can shoot it soooo much better than the older FWB300 - what a huge difference.

It comes in red? I didn't know it came in anything but black. Now ya tell me LOL.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I got the red one...
The sigbts are axjustable for height and allows you a very upright head position..... Look at that, it sets up so many other things......