Lapua Center x

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Two Shanks

Lapua Center x

Post by Two Shanks »

I got some stuff from Midway today. They had Lapua Center x for 196 a brick. I feel like they are price gouging. What do You think.
Pat McCoy

Re: Lapua Center x

Post by Pat McCoy »

I feel like they are price gouging. What do You think.
No such thing as "price gouging". They are simply offering a product at a certain price, and you are free to purchase or not.
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

Call it what you like. 13 or 14 a box is the most it should be. I call it gouging because of the current situation with ammo. You are right though and I choose not to buy at that price point.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

https://learn.saylor.org/course/ECON101

This course will provide you with a basic understanding of the principles of microeconomics. At its core, the study of economics deals with the choices and decisions we make to manage the scarce resources available to us.
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

I pretty much understand economics and I know that I very recently bought a couple bricks of OSP and payed 12 a box. I bought three bricks of Pistol King and payed 10.75 a box. Midway has always been about 30% higher. Even during this shortage he still has the Center x in stock so there must be a lot of people who also feel 19 a box is too high. You can only charge so much before people just won't buy.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

You can only charge so much before people just won't buy.
Very true. Then the seller will reduce the price to one that folks will pay. The very definition of free trade (also sometimes called capitalism).
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If this was a critical item, say water in a desert in a dry spell, Then maybe you can make a case for gouging.

On ammo ( and note, I do not buy rimfire from Midway ) if a distributor stocks enough and then prices it so that it can last for a while (lets say so that it is available for a long time) then OK.

If we were in a SHTF scenario, I could see CCI going for $1 per bullet.

I encourage my shooters parents to ammo test at Eley or Lapua and purchase 1-2 years supply (Depending on the shooter 2-3 cases), then in times like these the cost does not matter so much.

I have parents now looking for affordable Center-X or Eley-Edge or whatever, and it is not available at a price point they want to pay ... so the kids shoots CCI or CMP ammo that the club has stocked.

I don't believe it can be called hoarding if you are purchasing 2-3 years worth of ammo. Just as I can't see Midway being "charged" with gouging now ... if you need it for a match, you'll pay the $20 per box. I'm sure they are keeping the price high to insure availability.

I'm not saying I would not choke on the price as well, but if my daughter needed it for the last part of the trials, I'd help her pay for it.
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

I don't believe it can be called hoarding if you are purchasing 2-3 years worth of ammo. Just as I can't see Midway being "charged" with gouging now ... if you need it for a match, you'll pay the $20 per box. I'm sure they are keeping the price high to insure availability.
You make good points. Maybe gouging was a little harsh. I have been doing business with Midway for decades they are a good company but they are too high on some things and so shop somewhere else.

I was talking to a AW93 dealer in Texas. He said any Lapua coming in the country for the next two months is already sold and that it would be four months before he had any in stock. Let's hope things get back to normal for everybody's sake.