Scatt Basic vs Expert software

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

shakestheclown

Scatt Basic vs Expert software

Post by shakestheclown »

I am looking into a Scatt trainer and would like to know what are the limits and differences between the Basic and Expert software? I am looking at the Basic and MX-02 and will use it mainly for smallbore prone and highpower, with some air rifle and air pistol thrown in. My scores are flirting with master in smallbore and I would like to get more consistent.
The hardware differences in the Basic and MX-02 dont really concern me, but will I outgrow the Basic software and wish I got the Expert software? Is the Expert worth the $1000 more and what added features are the most useful?
Any input is appreciated.
Don Fine
Don F.

220, 221. Whatever it takes.
pfiori

Re: Scatt Basic vs Expert software

Post by pfiori »

Don,
Lots of good info on this here https://forum.scatt.com/threads/softwar ... arison.50/
Gabe

Post by Gabe »

It looks like you have to have an account to see the picture/pdf.
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

To me the decision isn't really about the software, but more about how you intend to use it. Do you intend to use it while live firing or only dry firing? If live firing, what will be the max distance? Will you ever use it for archery?

The ScattUSA website lists 5 models:

MX-W2 ($1899) - wireless for dry and live firing with infinite shooting distance, also suitable for archery

MX-02 ($1799) - wired dry and live firing with infinite shooting distance

WS1 ($1299) - wireless dry firing only

USB ($1049) - wired dry firing only

Basic ($749) - wired version for dry and live firing. 5-50 m target distance

Only the MX-W2 and WS1 are wireless. The others have a USB cable connected between the PC and sensor. The idea of being tethered isn't very appealing to me, though I've never tried it and it could be a non-issue.

I have the WS1 and have no regrets. It's great.

If I had a live fire version, it would be the MX-02 (because it's wireless). I think I'd rarely use it for live fire (mostly for dry firing), though it would be neat for gauging ammo capability. I'd like to know what the practical max target distance is and how tolerant it is regarding lighting and with what's around the target.

Here's the software comparison chart from the link to the scatt forum.
Attachments
SCATT Software Features Comparison Table-1.pdf
(238.46 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

1845greyhounds, thank you for posting that pdf on here. I didn't want to create an account just to view it. Some of the features on the pro/expert could be useful in analyzing performance.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

You may also want to consider what device you plan to run the program on. They support Scatt Expert on iOS and Android now, and only the W2 (wifi) model works with those due to the ability to connect the protocol. Windows supports all models, USB works there.
shakestheclown

Post by shakestheclown »

Thanks for the software features chart. That is exactly what I was looking for.
I like the newer Scatt, MX-02 or Basic, that can use a paper target at greater distances.
What features are in the Expert software, but not in the Basic, that are the most useful? Or will the Basic software do most of the useful stuff?
Thanks
Don
Don F.

pfiori

Post by pfiori »

Don,
For me, the most useful data items are the S1 and S2 numbers and trace patterns, the 10a0 number and the DA number along with the Coordination graph. These are the numbers that give you the information that you need to evaluate/diagnose what is happening during the firing of a shot. I currently use the MX-02 and the Professional soft ware and have used the USB and WS1 versions. I have not used the Basic version so I do not have first hand experience with it, however, in looking at the features chart, the Basic version does not give you most of this information.
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

Here's a video describing the features of the Professional software (pretty similar to the Expert software - I think).
https://youtu.be/SdfNw8d4b6o

IMO, the color coded trace is the most important aspect. It needs to clearly show your shot and the fractions of a second before and afterward in a way that separates it (via color code) from the previous trace. The Basic software does this, but doesn't seperate the last 250ms before the shot from the 750ms before that. Is that important? Maybe, the Pro software shows it (in blue) and has helped me recognize and control my trigger "aggression" (aka jerk).

Here's a link describing the Basic software features: https://www.scatt.com/scatt-basic-software

Here's a link describing the Expert software features: https://www.scatt.com/scatt-expert-software

I also find the hold speeds, % of group size in scoring ring, and shot distance from average hold parameters useful - especially as you fine tune your skills.

I've seen you shoot. You're pretty good. I think your skills will improve faster with the extra features of the Expert or Professional software.
shakestheclown

Post by shakestheclown »

Thanks for all the input. I ordered a MX-02 with the Expert software. Scatt has it on sale for $300 less than usual, so it is a bargain. At least that is what I'll tell my wife.
Don F.