How can I get a good score in free pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
huarui

How can I get a good score in free pistol

Post by huarui »

Hi,every one.I am a new 50m free pistol man player . Cloud some senior give me some advice that I can improve my score quickly.I would appreciate it if you could tell me some advice!( •︠ˍ•︡ )
Last edited by huarui on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
seamaster

Re: How can I get a good score in free pistol

Post by seamaster »

Are you even allow to have a personal pistol in China? Let alone a 50m free pistol that requires a long range shooting facility?

I am sure if you hook up with your provincial sport colleges that generate national athletes, they would have tons of insightful stuff, especially if you pay them a visit, with your personal red envelope financial gift.
Leon

Post by Leon »

The easiest way to get a good score in Free Pistol is to mark your own target : )
rmca

Post by rmca »

Spend a decade shooting air pistol, standard pistol and free pistol, with the occasionally centerfire pistol match, plus some 9mm and .45acp...
After you do all that, then learn to shoot black powder pistols...
After all that, you will not suck at free pistol... but she will still kick you hard everytime...

In other words, there is no shortcuts...
Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote »

Practice
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

huarui wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:47 am Hi,every one.I am a new 50m free pistol man player . Cloud some senior give me some advice that I can improve my score quickly.I would appreciate it if you could tell me some advice!( •︠ˍ•︡ )
Research, find a coach, exercise, training, match practice.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Ok, try this...
Dont focus immediately on shooting 10s...
Focus on not shooting sixes, then sevens, then eights.......
That will get you to the plateau where it really gets difficult

Good luck
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Dry fire until you can break the trigger without seeing any movement in your sight picture. If you can do that, you will be ahead of the game.
hurt

Post by hurt »

Pay NO attention to score, pay LITTLE attention to target, pay MUCH attention to front sight, pay MOST attention to trigger. My two cents
JulianL

Post by JulianL »

Below are my comments. This is only what I have learned by experimenting. For Free Pistol I learned everything myself so I am sure I am making mistakes. I just know what has worked for me to improve my scores. My scores jumped 20 points when I did the following things.

1. Use a firmer grip than air pistol I feel you can do this because a Free Pistol trigger is very light. Your trigger finger only has to touch the trigger lightly. The harder you grip, the more difficult it is to move the trigger finger. For air pistol your trigger finger must exert much more pressure on the trigger. If I grip the air pistol hard I find my trigger finger can move less freely without disturbing the sight picture. I believe the hold is most important in Free Pistol. In Air Pistol the triggering is most important.

I notice if I use a gentle grip, the Free pistol jumps too much and the group grows larger. By 'gentle' I mean a pressure similar to shaking a child's hand. For Free Pistol I use a grip like shaking an adult's hand. I am not sure if the jump is the problem or my wrist tension is the problem when I have a gentle grip.

Something to be careful about is the shape of the grip. If the grip is not shaped well all the flaws will be revealed when it is gripped firmly. If there are gaps between the hand and the grip the pistol will move to the empty space. Or, it will move where your hand is soft (where you have more flesh versus bone).

2. I feel Free Pistol requires more patience than Air Pistol. It takes a little longer for the pistol movement to settle. The pistol is heavier and longer than an air pistol. Maybe for others this is not the case, but for me it is.

3. As I lower the pistol into the sighting area I breathe out and let my body settle. It is a similar feeling when practicing Tai Chi. I use a double-breath method. Deep breath in as I lift the pistol. Normal breath out as I lower the pistol to just above the bullseye. Then small breath in followed by a deep breath out as I lower into the aiming area. That seems to settle my body well. Another method may work better for you. I think you have to be careful when you breathe out that you are relaxing your shoulders and not the tension in your wrist.

When I am settling I try to imagine my body and everything around me slowing down. Time begins to slow in my mind and it feels I am almost meditating. That does not mean I spend a lot of timing holding. You cannot hold too long or your muscles start to tire. When that happens I feel my body fights to hold the pistol up and I start to introduce tension in in places that should not have tension. This results in shots that can go anywhere.

Of course what other people have said about focusing on the front sight is fundamental. If your eyes move between the front sight and target it can cause your mind to see your position has moved. I feel the body automatically wants to adjust the picture based on what your mind sees. When that happens more movement is introduced. Actually, what I feel is when focusing on the front sight I have the tendency to focus on centering the front sight perfectly within the rear sight. When my mind is focused on that picture the target almost becomes irrelevant. It is still there, but I am not actively thinking about it. Therefore, I feel my mind stops chasing the target. That in turn causes my movement to become smaller and slower.

What I am saying is what works for me. For other people it may be different. Good luck!