Uptagrafft Wins Gold, Quota Slot in Shoot-off Finish

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

USAS

Uptagrafft Wins Gold, Quota Slot in Shoot-off Finish

Post by USAS »

Aug. 8, 2003

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic – Sandra Uptagrafft (Longmont, Colo.) was able to regain her composure and beat Cuban Margarita Tarradell in a shoot-off for the gold medal and coveted Olympic quota Friday in the 25m Pistol event at Sans Souci shooting range. The 2003 Pan American Games marks Uptagrafft’s first win at any big international competition.
Uptagrafft led by a fairly large margin going into the finals, but to much surprise, finished tied for first place after a weak final round. With her husband pacing impatiently outside, Uptagrafft just barely made it through the shoot-off, winning by .3 of a point after Tarradell hit an 8.8.
Her husband Eric Uptagrafft is also competing in the Pan American games, he shoots rifle for the U.S. team and will compete in the Pan Am’s in 3-position rifle. Eric says that Sandra forces him to wait outside during the finals in order to ease the tension.
“If I know he is watching me,” Sandra says. “I get even more nervous. But honestly, I don’t think I could get any more nervous than I was today. It means so much to me, and my team. There was a lot of pressure on me, but I pulled through and accomplished my goal. Getting a gold and a quota, I don’t know how I could ever be disappointed with that.”
Janine Bowman (Woonsocket, R.I.) finished sixth after all was said and done. Bowman had been leading the pack with Uptagrafft after the precision round, but fell after the rapid fire portion of the event. She competed in the Air Pistol earlier in the week, but hasn’t been able to see much success here in Santo Domingo.
This wraps up the pistol competitions. The only event left at the Sans Souci Range is 3-position rifle, starting at 9 a.m. tomorrow. The Shotgun Team has just one event left, as well. Men’s Skeet finishes its rounds out at the Higuero Range.
For more information, please contact Sara Greenlee at 809-374-9169 or by email at sara.greenlee@usoc.org.
Women’s 25m Sport Pistol
FINAL RESULTS
Qualifying Final
Name Rounds Round Total
1. Sandra Uptagrafft (USA) 574 95.0 669.0 + 49.5
2. Margarita Tarradell (CUB) 568 101.0 669.0 + 49.2
3. Natalia Tobar (COL) 566 101.0 667.0
4. Avianna Chao (CAN) 566 100.8 666.8
5. Lilia Maria Perez (CUB) 570 96.7 666.7
6. Janine Bowman (USA) 569 97.6 666.6
7. Ana Luiza (BRA) 560 98.8 658.8
8. Carmen Malo (ECU) 560 98.4 658.4