Neal Makes it Five-Straight Gold Medals for U.S. Shotgun Tea

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

USAS

Neal Makes it Five-Straight Gold Medals for U.S. Shotgun Tea

Post by USAS »

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Brandie Neal (Spencer, Ind.) made it five straight gold medals for the United States Shotgun Team at the 2003 Pan American Games with a victory in the Women’s Skeet event, Thursday afternoon in Santo Domingo.
Neal recorded 71 of 75 points in the preliminary competition to advance to the final round as the No.1 seed with a slim one point lead over Canada’s Linda Conley and Argentina’s Melisa Gil. After a 10-minute downpour postponement, the four ladies began the final round competition. And Neal, not loosing focus, held on to her lead in the final round and stepped into station eight needing only one target to clinch the gold medal. She stepped up and hit both targets capturing her first Pan American gold medal and the fifth straight for the team.
“I heard a few claps after my first shot (of the final station), which let me know that there was a pretty good chance that I had taken the gold,” Neal said. “But I’m notorious for blowing targets on station eight, so it was definitely a hard thing to shoot for me. This is the first match that I have not missed any targets on that station. So for me this was a victory in more than one way. I beat the demons that I had, and I’m ecstatic.”
Neal recorded 93 points en route to a two-point victory over both Gil and Conley. This marks her first international competition gold medal and Olympic quota slot.
“It’s been amazing,” Neal added. “There was a lot of pressure, as we were going four (golds) for four (events) going into my event. I just wanted to keep that string going. I know we needed the quota spot. I know that I was shooting well enough in the States to come out here and do it. But my experience overseas is pretty limited and I really wasn’t sure what to expect. I shot great and I can’t complain. I was a little nervous in the finals and I got a little tight at the end, but I wouldn’t trade this for the world. This is why I come back day after day, it is just amazing.”
Final Standings:
1. Brandie Neal, USA, 93
2. Melisa Gil, ARG, 91
3. Linda Conley, CAN, 91