Competiton Stress

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

AD

Competiton Stress

Post by AD »

Does anybody have any theories or advice on how to relieve oneself of competition stress. Thanks.
AD.
akshaydashrath-at-yahoo.co.in.42576.0
Steph Litz

Re: Competiton Stress

Post by Steph Litz »

: Does anybody have any theories or advice on how to relieve oneself of competition stress. Thanks.
: AD.

Steph Litz

Post by Steph Litz »

Different people have different things that work for them but many shooters listen to their favorite CD's (with headphones) while setting up their gear and while in prep. time. Some people stretch and/or take a brief nap to focus their thoughts and energy before the match begins, other people read. Basically find something that works for you. I recommend staying at your firing point and focusing on your area and the match before you, don't worry about the other people around you.
Good luck.
Steph

litz10x-at-hotmail.com.42581.42576
AD

Thanks Steph

Post by AD »

Thanks Steph.
Akshay.
Vince

Yup. >>

Post by Vince »

As simple-minded as this may sound, it's worked for me.
Just stop "plinking" and/or "practicing", and start making EVERY shot matter.
I realise that this may be easier said than done. It's easy for <i>me</i> to do this because at my club, if you walk in the door, the RO takes your name and you're shooting for club record. Period. You can plink AFTER your RF and CF 300s if you wish (we shoot the NRA program for record), but you go to the line and shoot for the annual trophy first, every single time you show up.
Makes a heck of a difference in how I approach out-of-town matches. I just don't see much difference any more, since I effectively shoot between 50 and 100 "matches" per year. And I only "plink" to function-test or sight-in new barrels and/or loads. I'd estimate that about 95% of my ammo expenditures over the past ten years have been in actual shoulder-to-shoulder club, provincial, and national competition.
Constant exposure to match stress has been the single greatest factor in my ability to <i>overcome</i> match stress.
Your mileage may vary.
gmtmaster-at-sympatico.ca.42587.42576
Spencer C

What a great system

Post by Spencer C »

Vince,
1/ what is the attitude of the average club member to this 'compete first - plink later if you want to' requirement?
2/ was it always that way at theis club/ or has it been introduced at a later stage?
Spencer
Michael

Post by Michael »

1. Write down a shot plan.
2. Follow the shot plan.
3. Revise the shot plan as necessary.
4. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3.
: Does anybody have any theories or advice on how to relieve oneself of competition stress. Thanks.
: AD.

Vince

Attitude? >>

Post by Vince »

To quote Humphrey Borgart, we "take it and like it." I don't think anyone's ever <i>asked</i> the membership how we feel about it. It's simply the way the club's been run for the past sixty-odd years. May as well ask us how we feel about driving on the left.
Seriously, though, this policy is the main reason I signed up there. It has attracted and spawned quite a few good shooters over the years, although at least half the regulars just seem to shoot their 300s dutifully and then retire to the anteroom for some serious storytelling.
Having said that, one of our club's by-laws states that members MUST own or have access to a .22 target handgun. MUST. As you might expect, this tends to attract a more target & competition- oriented crowd, as opposed to casual Desert Eagle- owning water jug busters.
gmtmaster-at-sympatico.ca.42594.42588
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Let's see......
First, always shoot for score. Shoot across a recognized course of fire, and set a standard to which you hold yourself.
Second, compete whenever possible.
Third, I find it helpful to keep a mantra running through my head. When loading, I use either "I am calm, I am cool, I am collected," or, "Shoot a 10. It is easy to shoot a 10. Shoot a 10." When firing, it's, "Sight alignment, press, sight alignment, press."
It works often enough to be useful.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.42600.42576
Mick Young

What about if you just want to train?

Post by Mick Young »

If you just want to shoot some groups, or maybe practise on walking away from the firing line then walking up and shooting a 10 straight away? My training program is aimed at a specific event, and there is 75% training, 20% practice and 5% is outright competition. I shoot groups for small prizes for some pressure, but I dont shoot a match everytime I walk in the club. I can see your point about the pressure side of things but I wonder whether its really effective for everyone?
Keep'em in the middle
Mick
mickjyoung-at-optusnet.com.au.42616.42594
Pete W

Stop Competing

Post by Pete W »

: Does anybody have any theories or advice on how to relieve oneself of competition stress.
The first and most obvious answer that comes to mind is stop competing. Other than that you will never be free of competition stress. But somehow I feel you are more interested in managing the stress than in completely erradicating it.
All those things that have been previously mentioned are good, some better than others, but they may not all work for everyone. What I would suggest however, is to try to change your world view, rather than to simply distract your mind from the pressure for the duration of the match. Once you come to understand that you will still wake up the next morning, that the sun will shine again, that your next meal doesn't depend on where any particular shot hits on the target, then you are free to concentrate on the shot for what it is; a simple exercise in harmonizing physical ability and mental discipline. It is no different than any shot you have made before, except for how your mind and belief system make it different by suddenly adding great importance to the outcome.
Even if it is a shot in the Olympic finals, it is, in the total realm of reality, nothing. There will be another Olympics in a few years, you probably won't be in it, and nobody will live or die as a result of your shot. Therefore, learn to savor the shot, enjoy it, learn from it, but don't obsess over it. Then, you can truly enjoy this sport, instead of being stressed out over it.
How does one achieve this change in world view. You might try religion. Knowing that Jesus Christ died for you and that heaven awaits you can really put things into perspective. If you can't get your mind around that, try zen, yoga, or meditation. Old age helps too, but that takes longer and usually brings with it a deterioration in physical ability which could possibly add more stress. Anyway, something to think about.
Good luck and good shooting

CWells4638-at-aol.com.42620.42576
Vince

Good point. I have to agree.>>

Post by Vince »

It obviously isn't a flexible system, nor will it be ideal for every competitor's mindset. As a policy, it's actually rather fascist. But it's really worked for me. I'd been shooting thirteen years when I got there, self-coached and not really getting anywhere, and it was exactly what I needed to pull the pieces together.
And we turn out a higher proportion of disciplined, systematic shooters than any other club I know of within 300 miles. The value of this is certainly debatable, but I know what kind of people I like to have next to me on a firing line.
But you're right; perhaps not the ideal hothouse for growing Olympians in bulk. It's certainly not a finishing school. Maybe more of a hatchery.
gmtmaster-at-sympatico.ca.42627.42616