Mechanical v.s. Electrical trigger in Air Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cfirimar

Mechanical v.s. Electrical trigger in Air Pistol

Post by cfirimar »

Hi, Folks,
I would like to hear your opinion on which trigger is better, and why it is better?
Does electric trigger enable you to shoot better scores? Is it reliable and durable as mechanical triggers?

I watched some ISSF/Olympic videos and it seems like lots of the finalists are using electric triggers (LP10E/EVO10E, CM200/CM162EI, etc.), so it probably indicates there is some advantage of the electronic ones. Unfortunately I don't have access to electric trigger ones nearby unless I buy one, so want to hear your opinions before making a jump.

Thanks!
David M

Re: Mechanical v.s. Electrical trigger in Air Pistol

Post by David M »

Set up right, they both work just fine.
Its the finger on the trigger that makes the difference.
Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote »

My 2 cents:

I don't have an AP but have a Pardini SP with a manual trigger and a Pardini RF with electronic trigger. While the difference is minute, there is a difference. With the manual trigger, there is a slight decrease in force felt after the sear breaks and before the stop point is reached. With the electronic, the force is constant through the entire length of second stage of trigger pull, even after the sear is released.

I would say that it is up to personal preference which would be better for a particular shooter, as I would consider neither superior to the other.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

IMHO, The ability to dry fire repeatedly without cocking the pistol with an electronic trigger is a HUGE plus. I think Keith Sanderson said he dry fires about 100 times for every live fire shot he takes. Being able to concentrate on your trigger release again & again (& again) without any interruption helps to build the muscle memory that makes a good trigger squeeze automatic & thought free.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I have a Steyr LP10 M. The trigger breaks without the front sight moving.
I have two mechanical free pistols, same thing.
My 8s are all on me. If my Toz had a E trigger, it would surely be a paperweight now.

Setting up a trigger with zero over travel, or conversely, lots of over travel, if your return spring is strong enough should get a smooth shot release. Lots of good scores were posted in the old days too.

If you think you need a certain piece of equipment, you should buy it though.
william

Post by william »

There were dozens, if not hundreds, of threads on this subject in the old-format forum. Somehow Steve Swartz was in the middle of all of them. No matter how many times the question is asked, the answer always seems to be, "There is no one right trigger (pistol?), (grip maker?), (eyeglass frame?), etc.
cfirimar

Post by cfirimar »

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Seems one big advantage of electric triggers is its pull is consistent after the break before hitting the stop, which helps maintain the sight picture/aim after firing and before the bullet leaves the barrel.

Aside from this, does electric triggers have other advantages? Does it have anything to do with gas regulation (mechanical/electrical gas regulators, that controls the amount of gas emitted per shot based on the current pressure)?

RE dry fire: I looked at manuals of 10m air pistols, seems most requires operating the lever each shot. also I feel even if electric triggers allows continuous dry firing w/o cocking levers, in real firing we still need to cock per shot, so not a huge advantage imho.

I see some electric triggers has 'Random' functionality, does anyone know what this does?

Thank you!
spektr

Post by spektr »

Im old.
I shoot mechanical trigger's because I like the feel
and I understand them after dicking with them for a lifetime...

I had a couple early electronic triggers on rifles and I just couldnt het their numb feel.....
cfirimar

Post by cfirimar »

IMHO, The ability to dry fire repeatedly without cocking the pistol with an electronic trigger is a HUGE plus.
Ah got it, yes you're correct, electric triggers doesn't need operating the lever for each dry fire. I agree this can help training a lot. I was misled a bit by the manual on dry-firing, I found more info to the underlying mechanism in viewtopic.php?t=48551
william

Post by william »

spektr wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:18 pm Im old.
I shoot mechanical trigger's because I like the feel
and I understand them after dicking with them for a lifetime...

I had a couple early electronic triggers on rifles and I just couldnt het their numb feel.....
I've been searching for the right wording to describe the total neutrality (I know some consider it a plus) of an electric trigger. "Numb feel" is perfect. Thanks.

It's mechanical for me, but I don't suggest it's the right choice for anybody else on the planet.