Efim Khaidurov Film

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jdey

Efim Khaidurov Film

Post by jdey »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and interested in Olympic Pistol events.

I found a video that has been referenced on this forum multiple times, but the previous Youtube posts did not allow for automatic captioning.
I don't speak any Russian, so I have no idea if it is correct, but I thought it would help give context to the videos if I reposted them with captions.

Apparently, the teacher in both videos is named Efim Khaidurov.

Here is the information as translated

Documentary and educational films were shot in the Soviet era by the SoyuzSportFilm studio funded by the USSR State Committee for Sports.

Pistol shooting methodology.
Year of release : 1982
Duration : 00:20:11
https://youtu.be/-U2YcA1bZlQ

Shooting from a pistol at figured targets. (Rapid Fire Pistol)
Year of release : 1983
Duration : 00:16:23
https://youtu.be/ppl_zjRdvpY

It's interesting they were still using black and white film stock this late in the decade for training films.

P.S.

If anyone is in the LA area and has suggestions of places to shoot, I'd love to hear.
william

Re: Efim Khaidurov Film

Post by william »

A couple of questions:
1. When did RFP switch from humanoid to round targets?

2. Why is it that the most successful right-handed rapid-fire shooters (at least the ones I've had a chance to watch) shoot from right to left? I've always guessed it had to do with the relative strength of the pectoralis major muscles. Further ideas?
jdey

Post by jdey »

I don't know much about physiology, but I did see this on the @olympicpistol Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/olympicpistol/statu ... 12449?s=20
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

Its a stronger motion for rightness to get rt to left
renzo

Post by renzo »

william wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:47 pm A couple of questions:

2. Why is it that the most successful right-handed rapid-fire shooters (at least the ones I've had a chance to watch) shoot from right to left? I've always guessed it had to do with the relative strength of the pectoralis major muscles. Further ideas?
to 1), January 1st, 1989.-
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings William,

My 1989 Gil Hebard shows them for the first time. So, I suspect around 1988-1990.

Tried to Google the revision history with no success.

They have been modified once again by adding the two white lines on the left and right of the target to help you align on the ten ring.

Cheers,

Dave
renzo

Post by renzo »

fc60 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Greetings William,

My 1989 Gil Hebard shows them for the first time. So, I suspect around 1988-1990.

Tried to Google the revision history with no success.

They have been modified once again by adding the two white lines on the left and right of the target to help you align on the ten ring.

Cheers,

Dave
Hi Dave

I had to personally throw to the garbage the humanoid targets, and that's why I'm so sure of the date, 01.01.89.-

Previously, during the 80's, they had changed the full bodied target (1.60 meters height) to the upper torso only that was in use until the date I mentioned.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

william wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:47 pm 2. Why is it that the most successful right-handed rapid-fire shooters (at least the ones I've had a chance to watch) shoot from right to left? I've always guessed it had to do with the relative strength of the pectoralis major muscles. Further ideas?
From my physical therapist, I learned that movement is stronger in concentric (inward) directions, and weaker in eccentric (outward). For example, it is harder to raise a weight overhead than to lower it. It is possible to throw a ball forehand faster than backhand. Pullups are stronger than pushups. And so on. When recovering from shoulder surgery, I can testify she's right.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Right handed shooters shoot right to left and vice versa because the target is in full view as the gun moves onto it.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm not all sappy nostalgic over this. McMillan was in charge of the marksmanship unit when I was on the R&P team in the 3rd MarDiv on Okinawa back in '64-'65. I saw him take a rifle from a prone Marine on the 500 yard line and shoot several straight bullseyes while standing. I also watched the Olympics on B&W tv in the barracks. Then I took a cab to "Honk Alley".