What fittings do you need to fill AP from scuba tank?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Chris L in NC

What fittings do you need to fill AP from scuba tank?

Post by Chris L in NC »

Miraculously, I may be able to acquire a new AP soon, and I don't know whether to get a pump or scuba tank. I see that most new APs like the LP10 come with a "filling adaptor" but do you also need to buy a yoke? I suppose you also need to get a tank. Anything else I don't know about?
chrisatty-at-hotmail.com.42500.0
Jerry LeVan

Re: What fittings do you need to fill AP from scuba tank?

Post by Jerry LeVan »

Hi Chris,
I would recommend the scuba setup for ease of use, especially if you shoot a lot at home.
You will need :
1) A scuba tank, about $140-$160
2) A yoke that converts the K-Value to a 200 DIN outlet.
Pilkguns has a yolk that is about $40-$50. I prefer the yoke that Nygord sells, it has a manometer and a pop off value that makes it easier to dismount the AP cylinder. The Nygord yoke costs about $100.
3) The filling adaptor that comes with the AP screws into the 200DIN thread of the yoke. The AP cylinder then screws into the adaptor. You then open the main tank value and fill the cylinder. I then close the main valve and unscrew the AP cylinder about 1.25 turns from the adaptor valve. Activating the pop off valve lowers the pressure between the main valve and the AP cylinder. I then dismount the AP cylinder.
You can buy scuba tanks that come with a 200DIN outlet but you need to make sure that your local air supplier can handle the 200 DIN outlet side. The K valve is almost universal in the USA.
You need to treat high pressure air with respect. Try google with "exploding scuba tank".
Before I open/close any valves I incant the magical charm:
Righty tighty, lefty losey
three times.
--Jerry
jerry.levan-at-eku.edu.42502.42500
ROgerR

suggest you read this

Post by ROgerR »

here's the link
Paul

Re: What fittings do you need to fill AP from scuba tank?

Post by Paul »

Greetings,
Here is my suggestion. The cheaper way to do this with the scuba tank is to get a DIN tank and a "US" filling adapter to be able to use it with the yoke. This is the way that I did it. The tank cost me about the same (actually a bit less than quoted in the earlier below) and the shop owner threw in the adapter for free. So much for the $100 Nygord yoke. The adapter that I'm talking about screws into the DIN thread and remains practically flush with the face of the valve assembly allowing the yoke to go on. Once the tank is full, I remove the adapter and screw in the adapter that came with my P34 for filling its cylinders.
Just my 2c worth.
Cheers,
Paul
: Miraculously, I may be able to acquire a new AP soon, and I don't know whether to get a pump or scuba tank. I see that most new APs like the LP10 come with a "filling adaptor" but do you also need to buy a yoke? I suppose you also need to get a tank. Anything else I don't know about?

paulkierkus-at-hotmail.com.42558.42500
Jerry LeVan

Having a manometer is nice...

Post by Jerry LeVan »

The nicest property of the Nygord yoke is that you can determine the pressure in the scuba tank.
If you have a Morini or Pardini K2S I don't know of any other way to determine tank pressure.
I find that using the pop off value to be less traumatic than unscrewing the cylinder while the air between the main valve and cylinder value noisily escapes.
Yeah, I know, I am probably too a**l retentive.
--Jerry
jerry.levan-at-eku.edu.42559.42558