Benelli First stage Trigger length

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rudi

Benelli First stage Trigger length

Post by Rudi »

Hi Folks.
I have a very long first stage pull. But I have the second stage short and crisp with about a half mm to the trigger stop (screw D)
When I look at my trigger unit, as it looks in the attached image, the line on the cam is at 6 o'clock, just as in the image. The only way I can physically see the trigger shortening, is to turn the cam outside of the two lines on the trigger unit, I see the trigger move back as I turn between 8 o'clock and 12 oclock. Now my first stage is nice, shorter, and the second stage still crisp and short (it didn't change, which is great)

My question is, the manual says the pivot must stay always inside the sector limited by the two indexes as there is a chance you can't engage the hammer, but I can easily cock the hammer in the trigger unit and it does what it should when pull the trigger. I havent cocked it installed in the pistol yet, but I assume it will be the same.

Before I do, is this safe to continue with the line of the cam at 9 o'clock? Is there a chance that the previous owner disassembled the trigger unit and just installed the cam with a rotation different to the factory installation? Would this cause multiple shots on one pull if it's not done right?

A quick second question, is it safe to grease (tetragun) any of the trigger action? this gun sat for maybe a year without being fired, and things seem a little dry.

Thanks!

Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 14.27.11.png
Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 14.27.11.png (11.77 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
-TT-

Re: Benelli First stage Trigger length

Post by -TT- »

9 o'clock is pretty far, but if the gun cocks reliably it may be ok. Be EXTREMELY cautious when first firing with multiple rounds in the magazine. If the sear doesn't catch, the pistol will go full-auto. I keep mine no more than 8-ish.

A drop of oil on the pivots and plungers is ok, but grease should only be applied to the sear surface, sparingly.
Rudi

Post by Rudi »

-TT- wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:58 am 9 o'clock is pretty far, but if the gun cocks reliably it may be ok. Be EXTREMELY cautious when first firing with multiple rounds in the magazine. If the sear doesn't catch, the pistol will go full-auto. I keep mine no more than 8-ish.
thanks, But does your trigger move back or forward as you turn within the two lines (5 and 7 o’clock)? Mine doesn't, only between 8 and 1 I get a full move back and return cycle which makes me think the cam pin was removed and wasn't installed back correctly. I’ll load two rounds to be sure when I’m shooting tomorrow, but in the pistol everything seems to work and dry fire well.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

IIRC, the trigger doesn't move much but the distance does change. I think it moves differently if you adjust when the hammer is cocked, but there is resistance in that case. I do agree that staying between the lines doesn't seem like enough.

As with any adjustment on this module, make minimal changes and reevaluate after each one.

I highly doubt anyone repositioned that cam. It is very tricky to dismantle the trigger module, and unless something is broken, unnecessary.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

There's no guarantee it was assembled correctly at the factory. I know someone who had a problem with extraction in his .22 MP95. Eventually he figured he had a .32 caliber extractor in his slide...

You can see how much sear engagement you have as you rotate the cam. I'd check that & make sure it looks OK. It's been a while since I messed with the cam adjustment. On one pistol, the locking screw loosened up, and the cam could rotate freely. I can't find any notes on it, but I think the symptom was that it wouldn't cock at all.
Rudi

Post by Rudi »

I’ve tried all positions from 1 o’clock to 7 and none change the length of the first stage even when installing the unit back and cocking absolutely zero difference.
Between 8 and 1 o’clock the trigger will move physically back towards the second stage position and return again as I expected it should since it’s a cam with a bump.
I’m guessing if it doesn’t go so far back as to interfere with or pass the second stage location, things should be fine.
Rudi

Post by Rudi »

I’ll update tomorrow after a visit to the range
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

That is weird, Im still within the markings on the frame and it made a big differance in first stage length when I adjusted my trigger pull.
10m: Steyr Lp1
25m: Morini CM22RF
CF: Benelli MP90s 32WC
50m: Toz35/Vostok mu 2-3
Rudi

Post by Rudi »

VonKasta wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:10 pm That is weird, Im still within the markings on the frame and it made a big differance in first stage length when I adjusted my trigger pull.
When you turn the cam do you see the trigger physically move back towards the grip side? I only do outside of the markings.
Within the markings the trigger first stage doesn’t change even when cocking
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

Rudi wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:22 am
VonKasta wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:10 pm That is weird, Im still within the markings on the frame and it made a big differance in first stage length when I adjusted my trigger pull.
When you turn the cam do you see the trigger physically move back towards the grip side? I only do outside of the markings.
Within the markings the trigger first stage doesn’t change even when cocking
Sorry for the late reply.
I dont recall the trigger moving all that much while turning the adjuster, but Im pretty sure I only adjusted ut un cocked.
10m: Steyr Lp1
25m: Morini CM22RF
CF: Benelli MP90s 32WC
50m: Toz35/Vostok mu 2-3