spotting scope question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pcw

spotting scope question

Post by pcw »

I have a 50mm 20x60 spotting scope. At 50m I can't really differentiate 22 rounds on the target as well as I would like. I've been thinking about getting another scope with a larger objective lens, but if the magnification is the same would I get a sharper image? I know the field of view will be bigger and the image will be brighter but will I be able to see the holes better? A second question I have is about scope stands. When it says that the rods are 5/8 diameter is that inside or outside diameter? 1/2 in copper pipe refers to inside diameter.
Thanks, PCW
dschaller

Re: spotting scope question

Post by dschaller »

I think your issue is the quality of the scope rather than the objective diameter. A good 20 power scope should be able to resolve .22 holes at 200 yards, much less 50. Scope stand rods are typically measured outside diameter.
RByars

Post by RByars »

Be sure there isn’t anything behind the target. No old targets, no cardboard, nothing that can block the light from coming in through the backside of the target. This makes it easier to see the holes.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I use a Kowa TSN-611 with 50mm objective lens and 20x long eye relief eye piece and I have no problem seeing .22 holes at 50 yards. The scope I used previously was a very inexpensive Bushnell. It had LOTS of chromatic abberration and the image was very dim. I always had problems seeing the .22 holes with it. I think that you should consider investing in a higher quality scope instead of getting a larger objective an/or more magnification.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

PCW,
When the rotating band on my previous scope broke after ten years of rough use I took a look at Champions Choice brand 20x60x77. At $185.00 I decided to give it a try. When it arrived I could not have been more impressed by the quality of the glass and the overall workmanship. I have used it this past week in getting my new rifle ready to shoot some prone matches and .22 holes are EASY to spot at 50 and 100 yards at all powers.
rbs

Post by rbs »

spotting scopes are the same as any other optics, you get what you pay for
pcw

Post by pcw »

I think you guys have answered my next question about objective lens size. Is there any benefit to a larger objective if the magnification is the same? I know that the image should be brighter and the field of view larger but is a larger field of view an advantage or a distraction? If the money is the same, would it be better to get a nicer scope with a smaller objective lens or spend the same money on a larger lens?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Here's your straight answer from a pro photographer, with a microscope, and amateur astronomer: Get a quality scope. A "bigger bore" will not get you improved definition, most likely the opposite, it just gets you more light. Forget zoom lenses; it is far easier to build a quality single focal length lens (that means cheaper).
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

i'd like to buy a spotting scope (for free pistol - so 50m)...but don;t want something expensive. the minimum acceptable. found these at a local shop pretty cheap. are they ok for the intended use?

https://www.bresser.de/en/Sport-Optics/ ... Scope.html
https://www.bresser.de/en/Sport-Optics/ ... Scope.html
https://www.celestron.com/products/land ... ting-scope
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Doc8406

Post by Doc8406 »

@pcw you won't go wrong with a Kowa 82SV scope with a TE-17HD LER lens. Buy a scope stand from Anna at First Strike
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

pcw, larger field of view better for reading mirage and maybe seeing flags depending on firing point
Doc8406

Post by Doc8406 »

What he said.jpg
What he said.jpg (23.9 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
DavZee

Post by DavZee »

I been using a Konus 20-60x80 with the angled view for years. I use it indoors at 50ft for 3P all winter and outdoor 100 yrd Prone all summer.
Crystal clear, never have any problems seeing the holes. This scope is a great value for the money.
I’ve had cheap scopes and yeah, you get what you pay for. It sucks to be on the line messing around with a crappy scope.
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

DavZee, what scope stand do you use for 3P shooting? I assume it must work for standing, kneeling, and prone. Thanks.

Mike
Doc8406

Post by Doc8406 »

F/V Icy Swan wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:56 am DavZee, what scope stand do you use for 3P shooting? I assume it must work for standing, kneeling, and prone. Thanks.

Mike
Looks like he is been using a Konus 20-60x80 for years he typed
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

Doc, I thought he typed it regarding the scope, not the scope stand. Glad to be corrected.

Mike
Doc8406

Post by Doc8406 »

F/V Icy Swan wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:34 pm Doc, I thought he typed it regarding the scope, not the scope stand. Glad to be corrected.

Mike
LOL.. my bad.. i ain't got my glasses on.. i read it as you were asking about the scope.. not the stand.. so yeah.. i guess i am the big dummy on that one.. i "stand" corrected.. carry on my man!
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hi Guys:

A couple of shooters have recommended the Konus spotting scopes, specifically the 20x60x80.

I own a Konus 80 mm and also the Konus 100 mm, and I guess that they are fine scopes for the affordable price. I do use them as loaners to various shooters on my team when they need one. Quite frankly, after using them side by side for a few years, I cannot tell the difference between the image quality between the two.

Unfortunately, once you look through a high quality spotting scope, you will never be satisfied with the Konus spotters.

Regards,
Crankster
DavZee

Post by DavZee »

F/V Icy Swan wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:56 am DavZee, what scope stand do you use for 3P shooting? I assume it must work for standing, kneeling, and prone. Thanks.

Mike
I’m using a Freeland bi-pod with a Polecat head. All the way up for standing it’s top heavy and can get tippy if you bump it.
I switched from the Freeland head to the Polecat for simplicity and it saves space in some of the very narrow pistol ports we shoot from at the different clubs we compete with.
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

DavZee, thanks. I am looking at several set ups and that helps, particularly for the top section.

Mike