New Member From New York

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rkittine

New Member From New York

Post by rkittine »

I am a new member from New York. Live in both New York City - Manhattan - and on the East End of Long Island - Sag Harbor. Haven't shot more than casual pistol for many years, but enjoy club shoots with my S&W Model 41 and model 52 as well as a High Standard Victor. Nice in their day, but not like what is available today. Have Colt Gold Cups in 9mm, .35 Super and .45 and a worked S&W 4506 in .45 Super. I am going to join the League at Southampton Rifle and Pistol and am a member at Maidstone Gun Club in East Hampton.

Monday or Tuesday I will have my TOZ-35M and I am hoping to find a Benelli MP3 in .32 S&W Long as New York does not allow us to have a pistol with a magazine in front of the trigger. I am trying to find out if the Match Guns MG4 is exempt since the magazine is horizontal. And I am looking at a Sig Hammerli P240.

Look forward to learning a lot here.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
izzyjim

Re: New Member From New York

Post by izzyjim »

Welcome Bob.
I'm glad to see that you have joined a pistol club as well reading this forum.
I believe you will improve, plus have more fun, if you are shooting pistol leagues, and 2700 matches.
Good luck and have fun in your new hobby.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Thank you,

I probably have to start to focus and based on all that is going on, it will probably be more pistol now a days.

I shoot Registered Skeet and shoot Benchrest - 1,000 Yard at Williamsport where I am a member, 100/200/300 at Cherry Ridge and Mid-Jersey and 600/800 at a few ranges.

At my home club, which is private, we do not have the pistol ranges used that much except we allow the local police to use them at no charge. We have indoor through 25 yards and outdoor through 100 plus steel silhouette.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
thessler

Post by thessler »

Hi Robert
Glad to see your buying a toz. I am planning on buying one as soon as I get home they won't let me buy one down here. Really looking forward to trying that discipline out .
Tom
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I looked around and there appears to he a lot of TOX-35Ms out there. Some are New Old Stock and some are listed as Slightly Used. All the ones that I found had the unfinished grips back in the box with them, so I think most peope bought custom grips, which is what I intend to do with mine. I am not a very good whittler.

The one dealer that seemed to have the most, some 80 of them they claimed, said he had both slightly used and New Old Stock. I told him that if he picked out one for me that was New Old Stock, I would take it. He told me he did not have time to do that, so I found a dealer who had a few New Old Stock and he sent me one with not only all the original stuff, but still in the wrappers. I hope to get it on my permit tomorrow or Tuesday.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

The TOZ is a great gun, unless you're left-handed and have human-sized fingers (you'll see what I mean). The trigger is a work of genius. I want to mention that Matchguns pistols are illegal in NY state, regardless of their unusual magazines. I've checked.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Yep Ricardo, you are correct. I finally got a definitive answer from the State Firearms Control Board. I was hoping that the tubular magazine, with its horizontal configuration would be exempt. Probably would have if people knew to make a case for it when the Safe Act came out, but not it is too late and too little interest.

I have gotten a Benelli MP3S and a Sig Hammerli P240 both in .32 S&W Long WC and Star Machine is rebuilding me a Star Progressive in .32 so I am set.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

rkittine wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:56 am The one dealer that seemed to have the most, some 80 of them they claimed, said he had both slightly used and New Old Stock. I told him that if he picked out one for me that was New Old Stock, I would take it. He told me he did not have time to do that, so I found a dealer who had a few New Old Stock and he sent me one with not only all the original stuff, but still in the wrappers. I hope to get it on my permit tomorrow or Tuesday.
I think these are all NOS; none are "used". It's hard to imagine that there are suddenly 100's (thousands?) of used Toz-35 pistols on the market with all of their original accessories intact. The market was so flooded with them that a couple of years ago there were down to around $300. What I had heard (for what it's worth) is that the "very good" versus "excellent" was based on some grading/testing at time of manufacture.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

A friend of mine bought one that was most definitely used, but still had the chunky block of wood with it and all the accessories, though the brushes were obviously used. Also did not have the waxed wrapping paper. I would think that at one point the Russians had a lot of shooters practicing for competition, but I am really new to this pistol as well as Free Pistol Shooting. My wood blocks will stay original and untouched too. Rink is shipping me my new grips on July 9th.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Welcome to the site
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

About 12 years ago there was a flood of used Toz-35s from the former USSR. Those were actually and clearly used; none had the wood block grips (it was luck of the draw regarding what size grips you got, although they all seemed to be well finished), and you had to pay a stiff premium for a box; no accessories to speak of were available. They were available through CDNN for about $229; a mix of 35 and 35M models. I bought 2 of the current offering of the lower grade and they're both pristine unused 35M models.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I got a 35M as that what was what a friend told me I should get and it is nice to have everything new and unused in the box with the paperwork still unopened. As I said, I am fortunate to have a couple of Russian friends that have made me a translated copy.

I paid $458.00 for it delivered, so I am ok with the price. The Rink Grips and Forend with Weights cost me $307.00 which is a hefty percentage of the total cost.

Another friend gave me a Free Pistol Oak Cartridge Block with openings to hold all the RF ammo for a 2 hours rally, which has a timer embedded in it. A guy on www.AccurateShooter.com makes the ammo blocks and I have a number of them for Bench Rest.

So now, I am hoping to try Free Pistol for the first time.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV