Good shooting glove

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

shakestheclown

Good shooting glove

Post by shakestheclown »

I am in the market for a new shooting glove for prone. I have used Champions Choice gloves with the black grippy rubber. The problem I have been having is the sling pressure presses on the bones in the back of my wrist and causes some pain and numbness after about 12-15 minutes. The Kurt Thune Solid and Monard Proliner gloves both seem to have the more stiff material across the back of the wrist and could help my issues. Before I spend $100 on a glove, does anyone have experience with both and which one would you recommend? Which one has better protection and padding for the wrist on the little finger side? And where do you buy them in the USA? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Don
Don F.

220, 221. Whatever it takes.
spektr

Re: Good shooting glove

Post by spektr »

A stupid thought from my Palma days......
Spend 10 bucks at a welding shop for a heavy welding glove set.
They are reasonably stiff, quite thick and go well down the arm past the wrist.
They fit inside my jacket fine and really protect against sling numbing craap that happens....
If you don't like them, your wife will love them for oven mitts
rbs

Post by rbs »

Thune glove is probably the most popular and used glove, so that is worth something. Your issues sound more sling position related than the glove itself.A lot of articles written about setting up your sling, explain better than I. I know I went thru different gloves and hand stops before I found a combination that allows me endure and my hand will still become numb and ache. Good luck
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

spektr wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:12 am A stupid thought from my Palma days......
Spend 10 bucks at a welding shop for a heavy welding glove set.
They are reasonably stiff, quite thick and go well down the arm past the wrist.
They fit inside my jacket fine and really protect against sling numbing craap that happens....
If you don't like them, your wife will love them for oven mitts
Will that be legal? ISSF and NSRA rules limit the length of the cuff.

I have tried old home made gloves, and never again thank you. A purpose made shooting glove that has padding, a coating to distribute the sling/rifle, and no seams under the pressure points is not expensive. I think my last glove cost me the equivalent of a box and a half of ammo p.a. over its lifespan.

@Shakestheclown, KT gloves are very good. I think the Monard Pro liner is a little stiffer and better padded. On both the coating extends to the wrist.

There was a recent thread discussing hand pain. It might be worth a read. http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62071
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Erud

Post by Erud »

The Monard glove with the hard blue backing material is excellent. I bought my first one at Camp Perry in 2011 or so, and used it heavily for several years. I bought a new one in around 2015, and switched to it because it seemed silly to keep the brand new one as a spare. I've been wearing that one ever since, and aside from being dirty and kind of ugly, it is not even close to failing in any way. The original one is in about the same shape, and I'd have no problem using that one if the current one ever does fail. I probably shoot more than average, between 35 and 55 days of matches per year since 2013, plus a good amount of live fire and electronic practice, so my gear gets a lot of use. I wouldn't hesitate to spend $100 (or whatever they cost now) on another Monard glove.

Good luck,
Erik
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

I have a brand new Kurt Thune glove for sale in Buy, Sale, Trade

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61597&p=295477&hilit=glove#p295477
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

Has anyone had personal experience with both the Monard Proliner Prone Glove and the Creedmoor NRA High Power Glove, which is actually a mitt? There have been a number of recommendations from prone shooters here and on another forum for the Monard. Yet, in her book, Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting, Nancy Tompkins recommends the Creedmoor. Has anyone tried both? Does anyone recommend the Creedmoor?

I too, am in search of any additional comfort for prone shooting. If I load with my rifle shouldered, my support hand tends to fall asleep after around 20 shots. When I set the rifle down to get the blood flowing, my hand is pretty tender in the web between my thumb and first finger, especially at the base of my first finger. I have an old leather shooting mitt that came with a rifle I acquired about 8 years ago. It is not super padded, but I tried it today and it is possibly better than the newer shooting glove I have been using. It is a little difficult to tell, because I tried a different hand stop today as well. But, today was somewhat more comfortable than my last few range sessions, and I believe there is still more room for improvement.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

bberg7794 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:29 pm Has anyone had personal experience with both the Monard Proliner Prone Glove and the Creedmoor NRA High Power Glove, which is actually a mitt? There have been a number of recommendations from prone shooters here and on another forum for the Monard. Yet, in her book, Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting, Nancy Tompkins recommends the Creedmoor. Has anyone tried both? Does anyone recommend the Creedmoor?
Nancy wrote that book 14 years ago (2006). A lot has changed since then. I met her in 2015 at the nationals in Bristol but I don't recall the glove she used.
I too, am in search of any additional comfort for prone shooting. If I load with my rifle shouldered, my support hand tends to fall asleep after around 20 shots. When I set the rifle down to get the blood flowing, my hand is pretty tender in the web between my thumb and first finger, especially at the base of my first finger. I have an old leather shooting mitt that came with a rifle I acquired about 8 years ago. It is not super padded, but I tried it today and it is possibly better than the newer shooting glove I have been using. It is a little difficult to tell, because I tried a different hand stop today as well. But, today was somewhat more comfortable than my last few range sessions, and I believe there is still more room for improvement.
My hand never falls asleep and I have a fairly tight sling setup. It could also be my choice of a hand stop as well.
Anschutz 4752 Adjustable Handstop
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I wonder if it is the hand position that is causing the problem? I use a very basic kit, an ESE basic handstop 30mm high, a leather Anschutz sling (very tight) and a cheap Shultz glove, I used to get a numb hand but I've moved my position so the rifle sits more on the ball of my thumb rather than the palm of my hand and I can shoot 60 shots with no issue now. It all felt a bit painful at first but now my wrist has developed the flexibility and it works well for me
shakestheclown

Post by shakestheclown »

Thanks for all the feedback. I bought a Monard Proliner open finger glove. There was a 80 round club match and I tried it out. It really helped in relieving pressure in the web of my hand and spread out the pressure across my wrist. Definitely an improvement over the $30 Champions Choice glove. My only complaint is the hole for my little finger is tight. The size chart had me between a medium and a large, so I got a X-large, but the little finger hole is still tight. It didnt seem to cause any problem during the match and may get better with some wear. So, I am happy with the glove and dont have any regrets over spending $100 on one glove with no fingers.
Don
Don F.

220, 221. Whatever it takes.