Do Electronic triggers make the 10M Pistols more accurate?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
oddjack

Do Electronic triggers make the 10M Pistols more accurate?

Post by oddjack »

I did search and found model specifics only

What's your experience in this matter?

Thank, J
Last edited by oddjack on Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spektr

Re: Do Electronic triggers make the 10M pistols more accurate?

Post by spektr »

NO.
They have nothing to do with the accuracy of the gun.
Gun accuracy is the result of how they are built.
Different triggers do not alter how accurate it is.

Electronic triggers are faster than mechanical triggers. This means that most people
should score a bit better because because they have had less time lapse between when they release the shot and when the projectile exits the barrel. The thinking is that a human being will imput less angular displacement into the hold as the shot is occuring since the unit time is shorter. If the shooter identified the exact shot release point correctly, he will drift off target less...... Now mere mortals that wobble stand to gain more than shooting gods that were already shooting in excess of perfect with mechanical trigger guns..........
oddjack

Post by oddjack »

So, if I rephrase the question, your answer is YES?:

Same person will score more with an E pistol vs a M pistol because there is less time for him/her to affect the shot
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

IN THEORY, an electronic trigger should be more consistent shot to shot than a mechanical one. They still have mechanical pivots & springs, and in most (all?) cases a mechanical switch, all of which will have some degree of variability depending on lubrication, dirt, etc. I've often wondered if someone couldn't use a photocell system instead of a switch. The trigger could move an opaque piece in between an LED and a photodetector, blocking the light. You'd still have to keep dust out of it...

In practice, a quality mechanical trigger on an air gun should be every bit as good as an electronic one. I've shot both. The nice thing about my Morini electronic trigger is that it's just as nice as it was almost 20 years ago when I first bought it, despite tens of thousands of shots. I've never had a mechanical trigger go that long, with that many rounds, without needing cleaning & lubricating.

The other advantage of an electronic trigger is that you can dry fire it endlessly without having to re-cock anything. Yes, cocking isn't a big deal, but if you are serious about dry firing to get your trigger squeeze just right, cocking is an unnecessary distraction.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Make the pistol more accurate? NO.
Make the SHOOTER with the pistol more accurate? Possibly. Depends on shooter preference and perceived trigger control.

By practice:
DRY FIRE: With an electronic trigger, shooter can click-click-click electronic trigger, without resetting a mechanical trigger.

By experience:
Steyr EVO: Good trigger. I run a long-barrel. Prefer feel on E-trigger on this, to the mechanical on my Steyr LP50 (which no longer has E-trigger available.) However, for a five-shot string = mechanical trigger "all day long."

Compared to:
Morini 162EI Compact: Absolute best trigger in the world - in my humble opinion. Switched back to my Morini compact after Ft. Benning, and am now fiddling with grip, putty, filing & returning to my base state of totaling sucking . . . I digress . . . .

Conclusion: My vote, based on dry fire practice and personal trigger preference: ELECTRONIC TRIGGER.
oddjack

Post by oddjack »

Gwhite,

Morini had an E trigger 20 years ago?
oddjack

Post by oddjack »

Talking about Theory:

If the concept of "less input(movement) from shooter = more accurate,

then a compact pistol should be more accurate in that the shooter has less time affecting the pellet traveling through the barrel

No?
spektr

Post by spektr »

oddjack wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:12 pm Talking about Theory:

If the concept of "less input(movement) from shooter = more accurate,

then a compact pistol should be more accurate in that the shooter has less time affecting the pellet traveling through the barrel

No?
No.... Go read my long reply to your previous question on compact guns at the olympics......
oddjack

Post by oddjack »

atomicgale

I am debating between the two you mentioned. kinda... Morini 200EI and Steyr Evo

Morini doesnt have an absorber, and less grip adjustment. The steyr has both. Did these make any difference when you tried the two? ( Morini 162 is about the same)
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I have owned a Walther SSP E and a Matchguns MG2 RFE. Both had wonderful electronic triggers that required no further adjustments after the initial setup.

However my scores did not change up or down using the E or M triggers.

I would buy the Electronic trigger again simply for the consistency of feel rather than hoping for an improvement in scores.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

oddjack wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:07 pm Gwhite,

Morini had an E trigger 20 years ago?
That was a guess. I've had it a LONG time. According to the history time-line on their web site, the 162EI existed as far back as 1998. They invented an electronic trigger for air pistols much earlier (1992), but had problems with the pistol (apparently not the trigger). They came out with an electronic free pistol in 1993. I have one of those as well, and it is REALLY nice.

One reason I like the Morini electronic triggers is that they have stood the test of time. Pardini tried an electronic trigger in their standard pistols, and eventually abandoned it, leaving lots of owners with expensive pistols & flaky triggers. I saw one apparently go off by itself at the collegiate national championships a few years ago. It may have been poor trigger control by the student, but she claimed otherwise. She put a round into the steel bench top at Fort Benning, and one of my students got nicked by the splatter. I think electronic triggers in semi-autos is asking for trouble. The gun companies aren't experts at electronics, and I assume they hired electronics designers who weren't experts at pistol design. As an electrical engineer, I'm sure it can be done, and MatchGun (founded by Mr. Morini) may have solved it. I'd want to wait a LONG time before I bought one.
Last edited by Gwhite on Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Let's keep going back: FWB had the Model 90 waayyy before 1998. No one had a trigger as good as that at the time. I used one to consistently shoot high scores, plus my personal best ever. Unfortunately, they were a little unreliable.

I wouldn't mind having a Morini.
David M

Post by David M »

Sort answer NO, but both triggers need to be setup well.
The disadvantage of the electronic trigger is the lack of adjustability. You can set 1st and 2nd stage weight and adjust trigger shoe positions, but can do very little with trigger point and 2nd stage travel.
Most electronic triggers can only be set as a" break like glass trigger".
The early Morini's (15v) had a very small amout of 2nd stage travel if you knew what you were doing but the later (AAA) does not.
The mechanical trigger has a lot more setup adjustments and you can play more with trigger feel.
My current Walther LP400 has custom springs to give me a softer, slight 2nd stage travel feel that removes that trigger hard point feel of the electronic.
Having said that, don't play with either trigger if you don't know what you are doing.
spektr

Post by spektr »

David M wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:46 pm
Having said that, don't play with either trigger if you don't know what you are doing.
Amen to that..... It took a while to get mine perfect, but once I understood it, it wasnt that bad, since most adjustments are made with the grip still on the gun
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

Back to basics . . .

Pick up the gun.
Shoot the gun.
Set the gun down.

REPEAT.
BEA

Post by BEA »

Does an electric pencil sharpener make you write better? No, but you might prefer the way it feels.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

pick up the gun . . . .
oddjack

Post by oddjack »

BEA wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:17 am Does an electric pencil sharpener make you write better? No, but you might prefer the way it feels.
In the sharpener example, the mechanism is the same, the power behind the wheel is not.

In M vs E trigger the mechanism is different, and the power on the trigger maybe the same or different.

The sharpener example does not apply.

I think E gets you higher scores on the long run. It's simply more of a consistent process. Less moving parts. Less frictions. Less wear.

The fact that most, if not all of you see no difference in your score does not mean it's not there. It means you and I are not consistent enough to measure it

Consistency is the number one most important factor in any sport at higher levels.

E lets you cheat. If it was me I would ban it in any gun competitions.
william

Post by william »

"E lets you cheat. If it was me I would ban it in any gun competitions."
Where is Steve Swartz when we need him?
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

No, the "cheating" came in 1954 when the Russians devised a remote trigger for Free Pistol: Some wire device actuated in the left hand while holding the free pistol righty.

Don't get me started on the Beta Blockers in the 60's and 70's.

Cheat? Yeah, right.

. . . shoot the gun . . . .