@ prowling about Inband Target System

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

@ prowling about Inband Target System

Post by seamaster »

What is the pellet hitting target sound like ? Like a duct seal sound or a metal hitting sound?

Saw the Inband video on set up. This is a flat pellet target system. How often does pellets bounce off target, and falls to ground. Or are all efficient collected without falling out?

If you are shooting at home, there is no need for that black rolling paper usage, right? Or is that rolling paper absolutely essential for scoring?

The video does not show how pellets are collected and dumped. How is that done?

Does it work with iPhone software at this time?
thirdwheel

Re: @ prowling about Inband Target System

Post by thirdwheel »

There are a few new electronic systems appearing on the market which has to be good but it has not started a affordability war just yet though. A new system I saw a demo of this year is a French designed one, it has no consumables apart from the protective screen that the pellets register on (the target is a digital image) and the claim is that it is cheaper to run than using paper targets, it is all wireless to a tablet, price in the uk is £2250. An A level pupil of mine wanted to design and make an electronic target system for his final design and make project. We had cracked the electronics but it had to be all designed and made in six months including writing the code for the computer representation and scoring and that was not enough time so I nudged them towards a less time consuming project. He was going to use light for the detection and not sound.

Link to the french system
https://sportquantum.com/en/targets-sho ... port/sq10/
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

seamaster wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:29 am What is the pellet hitting target sound like ? Like a duct seal sound or a metal hitting sound?

Saw the Inband video on set up. This is a flat pellet target system. How often does pellets bounce off target, and falls to ground. Or are all efficient collected without falling out?

If you are shooting at home, there is no need for that black rolling paper usage, right? Or is that rolling paper absolutely essential for scoring?

The video does not show how pellets are collected and dumped. How is that done?

Does it work with iPhone software at this time?
There is optional metallic pellet catcher and stand available, pellets are collected to 0,5 litre soda bottle for example. Pellet hitting the target itself doesn't make any noticeable sound. Paper roll is reguired for use as it uses acoustic measurement.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
prowling

Post by prowling »

Hi SeaMaster,

Thanks for the interest in the InBand Electronic Scoring Target (EST) System. I'll go through your questions one by one, and answer them to the best of my ability at this time.

Q: "What is the pellet hitting target sound like ? Like a duct seal sound or a metal hitting sound?"
A: The standard InBand Air or InBand 50 EST is currently supplied as a "pass-through' system, meaning that the end user can supply whatever type of system for pellet trap, deflector plate, ballistic putty, or berm type shooting bank that they desire. I am working on a couple of options for trap systems currently, and hope to offer them soon, but everything from the supply side of things has ground to halt with the CoVid-19 situation ... including the production at the metal fabrication shop that I am working with. As soon as it is back open, you can be assured that I am going to be working non-stop to get things back on track.

Q; "Saw the Inband video on set up. This is a flat pellet target system. How often does pellets bounce off target, and falls to ground. Or are all efficient collected without falling out?"
A: Not sure exactly what video you are referring to, but as mentioned above—the EST systems are currently supplied as "pass through," and the end user is responsible for their own choice of trap/stop/berm/etc. I will say that the trap that I have being fabricated is able to contain almost 100% of shots with no drop out or deflection.

Q: "If you are shooting at home, there is no need for that black rolling paper usage, right? Or is that rolling paper absolutely essential for scoring?"
A: The paper roll functions as a seal for the acoustic chamber so that the microphones can register shot information accurately. You can adjust the strip advancement in the user settings, making it only advance manually, a few millimeters, or the entirety of the bull diameter per shot. The paper rolls are 40m long, and can be purchased for approximately $10US. That means—if set to advance a few mm per shot—one is looking at less than a penny per shot for consumables ... and they can be recycled or composted.

Q: The video does not show how pellets are collected and dumped. How is that done?
A: Again, not sure which video you are referring to. Please supply me the link so I can verify the source. I will be making some videos very soon and posting them on the InBand.us site regarding the systems, unboxing and setup, software usage, etc., so please stay tuned.

Q; Does it work with iPhone software at this time?
A: Short answer: no. But I am working on some options regarding this with a local friend who is a programmer. The software does run on Linux, which in turn can run on Mac devices in an emulation mode ... but that is more complicated than most folks would ever want to get into. Rest assured, this is one of the MANY exciting and challenging projects that I am occupying my time with during the big "CoVid-19 Pandemic of 2020" ... in the meantime, I picked up a refurbished ASUS 10.1" Windows 10 tablet for $65 that I have been using with 100% success (of course, your results may vary).

I can say that the InBand products are robust, easy to use, reliable, and incredibly affordable for the typical home hobbyist and club level shooter. There are dozens of ranges using them currently in Europe, and over 300 individual EST systems currently being used and enjoyed by shooters around the globe—from plinkers in England, to sub-national level competitions in Finland. I'm proud to be affiliated with this excellent product, to be the exclusive representative here in the good ol' US of A, and I truly welcome the opportunity to help other shooters begin using them as well.

Regards,

Patrick Rowling
NRA — Life Member
USA Shooting — Life Member
Belton Gun Club — Member
Greater Greenville Precision Shooters — Founder