Dry-fire device for .22 rimfire

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rgibson

Dry-fire device for .22 rimfire

Post by rgibson »

Sorry if this is old news for the forum but I can’t not mention it in case others don’t know. Was at a loss to find a suitable way to safely dry-fire .22 rimfire with little luck. Spent rounds stick, aluminum dummy rounds deform and then stick. A friend suggested plastic wall anchors used to put screws in sheet rock/drywall. They work like a charm and I have used single ones multiple times without issue.
I have been using Hillman 4-6-8 x 7/8” H#370326.
At approximately $5.00 per hundred it is a win/win for training.
BobGee

Re: Dry-fore device for .22 rimfire

Post by BobGee »

Thanks rgibson, having the correct item ID I found them on Amazon AU at a reasonable price - not quite as cheap as your local Harbor Freight but acceptable given their longevity. I’ve used various plastic and aluminium DF rounds over the years but they all shatter or deform after a couple of hammer drops. These seem to be more durable and have been recommended by many on TargetTalk.

I ordered two packs but have to wait for delivery from the US.

Bob
crankythunder

Re: Dry-fore device for .22 rimfire

Post by crankythunder »

I have been using a empty chamber device like this one:

https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/tactical ... 4430-p.asp

which holds the bolt open just enough for the hammer to fall and it is very durable. Have found that it works in a number of firearms but not bolt action rifles.

I have also taken the eci for a AR15 and trimmed some of the plastic off so it fits tight next to the breach and used that as well.

Regards,
Cranky
dulcmr-man

Re: Dry-fire device for .22 rimfire

Post by dulcmr-man »

Don't know what gun you are using, but if you shoot a S&W Model 41, take a look at this dry fire block.

viewtopic.php?t=20366

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Great ideas applicable to not only the Model 41.

Bob
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

I read recently that the Mk2 rugers are ok to dryfire but only if a "certain part" is still present, couldn't find it on the parts list so I haven't tried it yet.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

We are using the wall anchors in the Junior Team rifles and I am using them in my Smallbore Prone rifle. I also found the wall anchors would feed from the magazine and eject form the chamber of my new S&W Victory which I use to train students in NRA Basic Pistol. No “certain part” need still be present. That was the clincher for me on these things; they feed and eject like a boss!