Walther KK500 Blacktec

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Shakeyaim

Walther KK500 Blacktec

Post by Shakeyaim »

Hi everyone, long time reader here but just signed up for an account.

I've just seen that Walther have released a new version of the KK500 that I thought some people may be interested in. In a similar way to their release of the KK300 Blacktec, Walther have just release a lower priced version of their KK500 with the Blacktec version. I've seen it priced online at €2579.00 which is a considerable saving over the Expert and Anatomic stocked rifles.

https://www.carl-walther.com/products/s ... 43285.html

greentangerine

Re: Walther KK500 Blacktec

Post by greentangerine »

And ...
Shakeyaim

Post by Shakeyaim »

I just thought it was another option for people thinking of getting a new rifle (such as myself) and given it's roughly 2 grand cheaper than the other Kk500's it has made entry to Kk500 ownership more affordably if buying new. I posted just to show people as the model is new. Thats all, didn't mean any upset...
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

thanks for the heads-up - yes, I'll be in the market very shortly.
I haven't checked the spec carefully - but at 5kg, appears 1kg lighter than the standard kk500.
What are the major changes that have driven this? and are they suitable for prone, with that handrest?
Cheers
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Racingt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:06 am thanks for the heads-up - yes, I'll be in the market very shortly.
I haven't checked the spec carefully - but at 5kg, appears 1kg lighter than the standard kk500.
What are the major changes that have driven this? and are they suitable for prone, with that handrest?
Cheers
There is no extension tube at the muzzle, and the butt and cheekpiece are simpler - less metal, lower mass.

It's simply a cheaper version of the regular KK500. Walther made a similar version of the KK300 a few years ago, with a simpler, lighter, and cheaper butt and cheekpiece, and the basic sight set. It's a rough equivalent to the old ISU Standard Rifle, which was popular among club shooters who didn't want a Supermatch.

The palmrest will unlock with an allen key to slide off and slide on a handstop for prone.
Shakeyaim

Post by Shakeyaim »

A little more weight was also saved by using a 40mm shorter barrel. The regular rifle has a 690mm barrel whereas this one's is 650mm.
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

Thanks for this summary - to be honest, the Blacktec KK500 is a more appropriate rifle for me to shoot than a more complicated KK500 version - I probably will not touch many adjustments once I have it dialled in. And I'm sure will still retain a decent resale value in the future, so the worry of buying secondhand will be removed.
I've contacted a couple of dealers - it will be a few weeks till they re-open, and I stop self-isolation, but this rifle is probably perfect for me, once the pandemic eases.
gspell68

Post by gspell68 »

Nice!

For the past few years, I was in the market for something exactly like that for my two kids and didn't wanna pay $10K for a couple of Walther SB rifles.
It's a nice starting point for shooters on a budget to improve a quality basic rifle with add-ons...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia
roycele

Post by roycele »

Racingt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:47 pm Thanks for this summary - to be honest, the Blacktec KK500 is a more appropriate rifle for me to shoot than a more complicated KK500 version - I probably will not touch many adjustments once I have it dialled in. And I'm sure will still retain a decent resale value in the future, so the worry of buying secondhand will be removed.
I've contacted a couple of dealers - it will be a few weeks till they re-open, and I stop self-isolation, but this rifle is probably perfect for me, once the pandemic eases.
What do you of a blacktek with 690mm barrel ? Dealer said there'll no extra charge, and carry the same warranty. But I wonder if it'll effect its performance.
Thank you all in advance.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

This would be a swapout action from another KK500. Nothing wrong with that.
It will be heavier than a normal KK500 Blacktec. And that weight will be in the front.

To me kinda defeats the purpose unless you are in line for a heavier gun.
Performance .... should not effect. The barrelled action would be different so the performance would be different.
With any new barrelled action, performance is what that gun likes .... best to test (after say you put 1000rnds thru it)

The one we got HATED Eley at first-loved R50, but after about 7K rounds it will selectively test with Tenex, Midas, even Center-X to very nice groupings ... but she shoots a tuner too and that helps even them all out
Moore

Post by Moore »

Got a current KK500, it wasnt cheap, But it darn sure shoots and mine is not ammo picky at all...I have had benchrest 22s custom built, My Walther is the most accurate of all that I have had....LW
roycele

Post by roycele »

jhmartin wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:28 pm This would be a swapout action from another KK500. Nothing wrong with that.
It will be heavier than a normal KK500 Blacktec. And that weight will be in the front.

To me kinda defeats the purpose unless you are in line for a heavier gun.
Performance .... should not effect. The barrelled action would be different so the performance would be different.
With any new barrelled action, performance is what that gun likes .... best to test (after say you put 1000rnds thru it)

The one we got HATED Eley at first-loved R50, but after about 7K rounds it will selectively test with Tenex, Midas, even Center-X to very nice groupings ... but she shoots a tuner too and that helps even them all out
Thank you Martin, you've answered my question for
Racingt. After taking a closer look of the Expert and blacktek specs and options, I'm wondering if l'm going to gain anything by upgrading the blacktek to match the Expert such as sightset, adjusment options...etc. This's my first sb riffle, and might not be the last. What do you think ?
Thanks again
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I coach a lot of women, and the KK-500 w/ the Expert stock is wonderful for being able to do adjustments and offsets to fit them.

To me it's very hard to say this is better over that in terms of the fit, especially if one is only shooting prone versus 3-P.
Many times I think it's best to get one in your hands and try it. Hard not that our major matches have been postponed or cancelled.

I can tell you that the KK-500 action/barrel set is a fine piece of machinery and it will outshoot the shooter!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

roycele wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:50 pm
jhmartin wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:28 pm I'm wondering if l'm going to gain anything by upgrading the blacktek to match the Expert such as sightset, adjusment options...etc. This's my first sb riffle, and might not be the last. What do you think ?
Thanks again
Upgrading the sights would be easy, but the adjustment is harder. A new buttplate should be possible, however you won't fully duplicate the Expert. The KK500 Expert has a double knuckle behind the grip that allows you to adjust the whole butt sideways. The Blacktec is based on a simplified KK300 alutec stock, and doesn't have this feature.
Gonzav71

Post by Gonzav71 »

Just got a KK500 Blacktec on December 18th after ordering on July 27th. So far I am still getting use to the 3.8 ounce trigger. I bought it to do 100 yard prone small bore shooting but I am currently using it for 3 and 4 position small bore leagues each week. I am planning on buying a better butt plate with a quick adjust locking knob or lever. Added a Swift Premier 8-32x50 AO scope with an Anschutz scope rail.
Last edited by Gonzav71 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

Does anyone import this version of the kk500?
Gonzav71

Post by Gonzav71 »

WALTHER ARMS, INC.
7700 CHAD COLLEY BOULEVARD
FORT SMITH, ARKANSAS 72916
479.242.8500 | WALTHERARMS.COM
https://waltherarms.com/dealer-locator/
Shakeyaim

Post by Shakeyaim »

Well, about 11 months after seeing the new Blacktec and starting the thread I finally broke down and placed an order. The rifle needs to be ordered from Walther, all my paperwork needs to be done through COVID-19 delays, etc. so it'll be several months before I have it in my paws but I'll post up some pic's when I can. This will be my first of this type of rifle and shooting. I opted for the stainless steel barrel - just like the looks of a bare stainless barrel and I hate finger marks on bluing - yes, I'm a tart!
Just got a KK500 Blacktec on December 18th after ordering on July 27th. So far I am still getting use to the 3.8 ounce trigger. I bought it to do 100 yard prone small bore shooting but I am currently using it for 3 and 4 position small bore leagues each week. I am planning on buying a better butt plate with a quick adjust locking knob or lever. Added a Swift Premier 8-32x50 AO scope with an Anschutz scope rail.
Gonzav71 - Any updates on how you're getting on with your new Blacktec? How are you liking it? Do you know if any form of hand stop comes with the cheapest of the KK500 models? If none comes with the rifle, I'll probably get one during the waiting period so I'm ready to go once it arrives.
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

I ordered a blacktek through Earls Repair Service. I wasn't sure the Blacktec could be had with a stainless barrel.

I am pretty sure it does not come with a hand stop, just basic sights and 1 set of risers from the pictures.
Gonzav71

Post by Gonzav71 »

Gonzav71 - Any updates on how you're getting on with your new Blacktec? How are you liking it? Do you know if any form of hand stop comes with the cheapest of the KK500 models? If none comes with the rifle, I'll probably get one during the waiting period so I'm ready to go once it arrives.
The Blacktec rifle does not come with a hand stop. You will need to order one separately.
I like the rifle a lot but my available ammo selection for it is limited so far because of COVID. I am doing better in 3 and 4 position 50 foot shooting but not by a lot. My prone shooting is a lot better than before because of the loading port. Less movement breaking position when loading in prone.
I have to clean (brush) the tight match chamber after every session or not I will get stuck cases and need to use a screwdriver to remove them. The indoor range is also cold below 50 degrees F.
Last edited by Gonzav71 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.