Palma Rifle

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Palma Rifle

Post by atomicgale »

Ran out & bought a Savage 12 Palma Rifle - now what? Where to get sights? Which sights? Issues shooting Palma? Where to shoot? et cetera . . . .
Pat McCoy

Re: Palma Rifle

Post by Pat McCoy »

Try palma.org for answers. Palma is not an Olympic sport.
pfiori

Post by pfiori »

For information about matches and Long range shooting take a look at WWW.usrifleteams.com There are two forums there, one for Palma and Long range and one for National Match Course shooting.
In Tennessee, there are two ranges that I know of that hold long range matches, Oak Ridge Sportsman Assn. and a new range called Dead Zero Shooting Park near Spencer Tn.
Your options for sights are limited. The gold standard is a Warner rear sight and a Riles front sight but the Warner is out of production so you have to search for a used one. The other USA producers of good rear sights have all ceased production also so the only readily available new sight is a Centra LR which is available from several sources here in the US and there are presently a couple posted in the trading post on this site.
Palma is challenging and fun, if you like prone you will enjoy it.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Atom, can I call ya Atom?
I started shooting Palma a few years ago and it is the most fun I have with a bunch of heavy clothes on. Are you close to the East Coast? North State Shooting Club holds Long Range and Palma matches at Camp Butner in the Durham, N.C. area. They have a website and all the information about their matches. Good information on sights from priori.
The rulebook can be downloaded; just go ahead and get NRA Fullbore. It is a real adventure when you start pair-firing and converting sighters.
magpie

Post by magpie »

Where in TN are you? There's a fair amount of shooting going on in various parts of the state. Oak Ridge has a rather active long range schedule, and there's a range out in Memphis that I understand is pretty nice.

Regarding sights, good luck. With the NRA's rule change allowing optics on 'match rifles' a few years ago, the market for sights has pretty much dried up. My advice is don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If you find something that's 'good enough', get it. The best options are a Riles front sight and a Warner #2 rear. (Though a #1 will do just fine. I've shot a lot of places and never needed more wind on my gun than a Warner #1 provides) If you have any aspirations of making the National team (and you should! It's a lot of fun), be sure to get a sight with lefthand threads (as you look at the knob, clockwise is left and down) since that's the team standard and in a team match, a coach would be turning your sights for you. I think the only current rear sight option that you can call up and order is the Centra (which seems to be a good sight, according to a few folks I know who test all their sights on dial indicators...).