Steyr FP1 manual in English?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
TomAmlie

Steyr FP1 manual in English?

Post by TomAmlie »

I need some help with my Steyr FP1. After a long hiatus from shooting due to joint problems, I took my Steyr FP to the range for the first time in a few years. 7 shots fine, the 8th nothing. Of the shots that fired, 6 look like good strong hits by the firing pin; one is a little weak. The striker bar at the top of the action is releasing with vigor, but the impact is not being transferred to the firing pin in the falling block for some reason.

Does anyone have a copy of the manual in English? I've got a copy but it's entirely in German (or, as a former President would say, "in Austrian").

Can anyone send me a picture of the back of falling block? There's a vertical bar in it (the top 1/3 or 1/2 of the block), which I assume transfers the impact from the striker bar to the firing pin. Mine is seated all the way forward. I would think it would be spring-loaded or something so that it would retract in order to be positioned for impact.

Any help greatly appreciated. My guns really didn't like sitting unused for a few years, and they're all balking a little.

Edit to add: Well, after typing the manual into Google translate I was able to disassemble a little. What I thought was a bar that was just the top 1/3 of the falling block is supposed to be a single piece. The bar apparently snapped in two.

Any ideas on who might have spare parts? I'll give Steyr a try, but I would be astounded if they had anything available.
glenn andrew

Re: Steyr FP1 manual in English?

Post by glenn andrew »

Igor has you covered here:

http://toz35.blogspot.com/
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Thanks! At least now I can see the part I need (#57, the "hammer lever"). Now it's just a matter of finding one.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Hi TomAmilie,

I acquired a Match FP recently here in Australia, with a Rink grip, after a prolonged search. Prior to finding it I was in contact with Ernst Huber at Steyr Sport who is the designer and builder of all 1,000 examples produced by Steyr Männlicher (prior to the split). He sent me an English version of the owner's manual FOC - very generous. I later enquired about what spares I should acquire to future-proof me. He said that all the wear parts had been induction hardened so would not require replacement. Obviously, from your experience, he was not quite correct. I also need to get a replacement extractor return spring but he directed me to our local agent who is just not interested in such a small, no profit part. So I’ll find an equivalent from other sources. He also suggested that all spare parts are available but seems you will have to find your local importer/agent to get it for you. Get an ejector return spring too while you are at it!

They are very interesting guns to shoot - very short lock time and absolutely no jump, but I cannot get on with mine. i prefer my Hammerli FP60.

Good luck with your quest.

Bob
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Hi TomAmilie,

I’ve been trying to post a copy of a long section which might be helpful. Comes from an article in the German sport shooting mag "Visier". But, I cannot determine how to do it on an iPad so will try and send you a copy through PM. Not sure if that is possible but will try.

Bob
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Sorry TomAmlie - drawn a blank there too.

Bob
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

BobGee wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:42 am Hi TomAmilie,

I acquired a Match FP recently here in Australia, with a Rink grip, after a prolonged search. Prior to finding it I was in contact with Ernst Huber at Steyr Sport who is the designer and builder of all 1,000 examples produced by Steyr Männlicher (prior to the split). He sent me an English version of the owner's manual FOC - very generous. I later enquired about what spares I should acquire to future-proof me. He said that all the wear parts had been induction hardened so would not require replacement. Obviously, from your experience, he was not quite correct. I also need to get a replacement extractor return spring but he directed me to our local agent who is just not interested in such a small, no profit part. So I’ll find an equivalent from other sources. He also suggested that all spare parts are available but seems you will have to find your local importer/agent to get it for you. Get an ejector return spring too while you are at it!

They are very interesting guns to shoot - very short lock time and absolutely no jump, but I cannot get on with mine. i prefer my Hammerli FP60.

Good luck with your quest.

Bob
I didn't realize there were only 1,000 made. I really enjoy shooting mine; it's my favorite FP. I emailed Mr. Huber about the part, and he referred me to our host Pilkguns, who are ordering the part for me. I guess the "no profit" aspect of it all depends on how much they mark it up! I had pretty much resigned myself to trying to get it welded or getting a new one fabricated; neither one seemed promising. I was afraid that since the Steyr split happened after production ceased that it would become a true orphan and parts would no longer be available.

If you could provide the link to the Visier article, or if emailing it to tta2@psu.edu is possible, I'd appreciate it.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Hi TomAmlie - emails sent.

Bob