Winchester 52 D

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rgibson

Winchester 52 D

Post by rgibson »

I borescoped another fellow's Winchester 52 D the other day. Then I shot it at 100 yards. When I got out of my shooting coat I quickly wrote him a check. I have two questions. !. Are there any out there in Target Talk Land who are old enough to remember the 52 D and maybe shot one? And B. For those of you familiar, is there a spare part or two that you would definitely keep in your kit when traveling to matches with the 52 D; a weak link that you or someone you know has had to replace in a pinch. I am new to the old platform and I like to be prepared. Thanks in advance.
NuJudge

Re: Winchester 52 D

Post by NuJudge »

I got one from the CMP when they had them. The rifles shoot really well, but they are heavy. I would go look at Rim Fire Central's forum on them.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/f ... .php?f=265
My experience with a 52D is that it needs 1/8 MOA sights, not the 1/4 MOA sights.
My daughter tells me that my Walther KK500 looks like a Nerf gun, but my 52D, that looks like a rifle.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

May it please the Court,
This one also originally came from the CMP. It is marked U.S. above the serial number. It has the Redfield Palma rear sight and the Olympic front. The fellow competitor who had it is a lefty and said he would never shoot it as he has more modern LH competition rifles. I was really looking for a 52 D or a Rangemaster because they bring back great old memories of my smallbore days in school.

I asked the question about spare parts because i noticed that some parts companies show "out of stock" on a good deal of 52 parts now. Hopefully the "King of .22s" got it's nickname because it never needed spare parts.
Thank you Your Honor!
beye

Post by beye »

The Win. 52D has no weak points, never needed any parts. It has a bolt, ejector/loading tray and trigger ass'y., none of which are fragile. The earlier magazine fed rifles were also very durable with perhaps needing a magazine if damaged somehow. Wolff makes firing pin springs and I usually replace the old one when putting an old 52 in service just to be on the safe side.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Thank you for the insight Sir! I added a Grumman 510 tear iris and a new hand stop and have been shooting prone matches with it. Having a blast. I will get a Wolfe pin.
AManWearingAHat

Post by AManWearingAHat »

Those are fantastic rifles. I've looked at acquiring one more than once.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Yes, the condition and accuracy forced me into debtor’s prison. That’s a lie. If I told you what I paid you would label me a larcenist. Welcome back to the range.
jps2486

Post by jps2486 »

I shot one of these in my college years on the ROTC rifle team. We had a rack of them and they were well used, but never had an issue with either one of them. Of course, the team armorer took care of them during the off hours. These are fantastic rifles, but their use is limited to 3 position or BR type shooting because of their weight. If you are lucky and rich enough to find a sporter, then that opens a lot of doors.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

JPS, same with us, armorer took care of our rifles back in the school days (early 70s) as well. With a Gehmann 510 rear ap and a strap on cheek piece I have been shooting NRA Conventional Prone matches so far. I think I will look to buy a more modern piece to start shooting 3P. The low asking price and great condition of the rifle “forced” me to buy to compete while I agonize over what the “boss” will let me buy next. I don’t really have any interest in the Win. 52 Sporters, but that’s just me I guess.
By the way, as soon as the Belton Gun Club allows us to resume matches again we will be starting more Smallbore matches there on the second Saturday of the month. I am also trying to gauge interest in starting Smallbore 50 meter 3P.
Bob
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Bob
If ASSA can be of assistance in starting matches at your club, feel free to reach out at your convenience.

www.americansmallbore.com

Best Regards,
Ken
ASSA Secretary/ Treasurer
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Ken, I will send you a PM tomorrow. Thank you Sir!