Trigger pull setup

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sstyle

Trigger pull setup

Post by sstyle »

I bought the Evo10 some days ago, and it is my first pistol. I read that I have to setup trigger force to 500+gr, and first stage should be heavier than second one.

Is it true that two-stage setup is better?
Does 350/150 setup is better than others? Why first stage have to be heavier?
Leon

Re: Trigger pull setup

Post by Leon »

OMG.

Quoting the inimitable David Moore (DavidM), "if you dont know what you are doing, leave the trigger adjustments alone"

Very sagacious advice, and (don't take this the wrong way) the Steyr factory technician knows more about trigger adjustments than you do.

Another great saying is, particularly suited to amateur gunsmiths (very prevalent in Australia) - "if its not broken, dont fix it".
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

👍
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Don't mess with the pistol until you've shot a small number of pellets,

Lets say: 5,000.

Here's a link to Amazon for some Meisterkugeln, about $119.90 for 10 tins of 500.

https://www.amazon.com/Umarex-USA-23150 ... way&sr=8-5
sstyle

Post by sstyle »

Thanks guys. But why, if I could check the results on SCATT?
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Sell the SCATT & use the proceeds to buy pellets ( . . . and a scuba tank).

Load the gun.
Shoot the gun.
Repeat!
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

aa
Last edited by 40xguy on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Rover

Post by Rover »

40xguy wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:21 am ain't nothing worse than someone who doesn't know what they are doing trying to fix something that ain't broken.
At least until they learn to hold their mouth right. (Biting tongue as it peeks out the side.)
sstyle

Post by sstyle »

atomicgale wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:34 am Sell the SCATT & use the proceeds to buy pellets ( . . . and a scuba tank).

Load the gun.
Shoot the gun.
Repeat!
Can not agree with you. My score was significantly increase after I bought the SCATT. You can not see the trigger mistakes or aftershot holding path on real target.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I think the consensus of experienced opinion is that you should leave it alone until you know what you're doing.

I wouldn't argue with that but wouldn't be surprised if, like many other newcomers before you, you ignore that experienced advice.
KH250

Post by KH250 »

Keep using the Scatt it is a very useful tool. I believe if I had one much earlier I would have improved more quickly. Shooting thousands of bad shots just reinforce bad technique. Using the scatt can identify the technique problems causing the bad shots. The Scatt is not a mystical device that only a few gifted people know how to interpret. With very limited coaching available where I live, the Scatt has shown me all sorts of things I was not aware of. Being able to see an improvement in your trace speed / length, % time in ten ring, trigger control and follow through, all help to keep you motivated.
As to the trigger on the EVO, the factory setup is a good starting point. I am not comfortable with too light a second stage, my Steyr is set with 60% weight on the first stage. I coach told me that setting too heavy a first stage and with a very light second stage can lead to a to an unsound trigger technique. Works ok under no pressure but falls apart when under stress. For example at a competition.