Need advice, light rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jbzeus

Need advice, light rifle

Post by jbzeus »

Hello all.

Been out of position shooting for awhIle and trying to get back in. I have a couple of bulged disk and need something lighter than my 1913 super match. Did some experimenting and it seems something in the 10 pound range would work.

Seems the best way to reduce weight is a shorter barrel. Prefer not to buy a new rifle and shorten the original pressed in barrel. Buy a 2013 and a shorter barrel? Buy a used rifle and press in or thread action and new barrel?

I have a 54ms silhouette I might be able to use in my 1913 stock. I tested it and it appears to rock on the recoil lug. Prefer not to modify the 1913 stock bedding in case I want to return the barreled action to it from my bench rest gun.

I also have a 2013 in a Ross barrel block stock but don't have a 2013 position stock to put it in.

Decisions, decisions.... ideas? Note this rifle would be used at 50ft indoors for position. I like the Anschutz offerings but would consider FWB, Walther etc. I noticed in an old ad in the classifieds some one cut down a aluminum stock and shortened the barrel for a short light weight shooter. Are there *ladies* or *junior* models that might work?

Thanks,
Jeff
spektr

Re: Need advice, light rifle

Post by spektr »

Ok, an alternative thought for you. Savage MK1 FVT in a Boyds ATOne stock, with a Rifle Basix drop in trigger.
Its Legal for NRA Light Rifle and shoots better than it should...... Not an Anschutz but deffinately priced accordingly
Mine is good for very high 90s in prone, sitting and kneeling, its not giving up much if anytbing to my 1410. Standing is anybodys guess since I cant stand still after losing a big chunk of a foot, but its within a few points of my 1410 in tbe same range and conditions. 50 foot and 25 yds indoors...,...
Bob Foth

Re: Need advice, light rifle

Post by Bob Foth »

The Walther KK500-M Ultra Light has a shorter, thinner barrel which should allow a much more upright position, particularly if you keep the buttplate length short. It is about 12 lbs (5.5kg) total.

https://www.carl-walther.com/products/s ... 23764.html