Scammer has scammed-pleasehelp

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

Scammer has scammed-pleasehelp

Post by pilkguns »

GOAL HAS BEEN MET,
THANK YOU EVERYONE

It has come to my attention that a scammer on Targettalk has taken advantage of an 18 year old shooter who is currently attending a major college and is shooting on their rifle team. I am leaving specific details out as I do not wish to embarrass the individual. But, this person lost $2300 trying to buy a rifle to compete with at the college level since they were leaving their junior club’s rifle behind.

Please, if you can help raise some money to get this young shooter back to good. Contact me either by PM here or directly at the office, and I will put in you touch with a coach at the junior club who can receive money on their behalf.

And scammers abound everywhere on the internet. In this case, someone assumed someone else's identity and responded to a for sale ad. DO NOT accept any changes in the deal or person. I would ask for a recent newspaper date in the picture with the merchandise to be sure the person you are sending money to is really the seller.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Re: Scammer has scammed-pleasehelp

Post by pilkguns »

I see over 400 people have views this on the tow places I have posted this.

I've got 7 responses...... come on people, if half of those people sent $10 we would have this thing.
atomicbrh

Post by atomicbrh »

Did the victim of this crime contact the Attorney General in the state the rifle was supposed to come from? If no help from the state AG. Then FBI local office. Then Secret Service local office because Secret Service is still a part of the Treasury Department. Many of these same criminals are into counterfeiting of currency and money orders along with the electronic payment schemes. Many times state Attorney General investigators have been able to recover payments and equipment from the criminals.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

I stand to be corrected, but if the sale was transacted across state lines, then I believe that makes it a federal offense.
If so, contact the ATF. Wish you the best.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Regardless, I donated and you folks should consider as well.

By blind luck I have never had a bad experience buying on the web. But this is the second instance I know of:-(

Air will die if we do not get, and keep, kids shooting

Chip
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

GOAL HAS BEEN MET,
THANK YOU EVERYONE