Pressure gauge for scuba tank

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

oldbulldog

Pressure gauge for scuba tank

Post by oldbulldog »

Can anyone recommend a pressure gauge to give an indication of tank pressure while filling at the local fire station?
m1963

Re: Pressure gauge for scuba tank

Post by m1963 »

Type and output of the compressor will matter. It is unclear what fittings your local fire station may have. You may want to check, here, and contact them for help with your particular application-

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

I don't have a gauge to recommend, but typically a fire station will either use a CGA 346 (3000psi/200bar) or a CGA 347 (4500psi/300bar) connection -- most likely the latter. Your gauge/fitting assembly will need male threads to accept the CGA connection from the fill station.

However, typically the fill station will have its own gauge -- is there some reason you can't use it?

marky-d
oldbulldog

Post by oldbulldog »

My tank has a DIN fitting which the air cylinder adapters fit in. I have an adapter with which they can fill our tank. Although their compressor has gauges which tells you the pressure in each of the compressor banks, it is impossible to tell how much pressure is in my tank. It will tell me how much pressure the bank surrendered to the tank but not knowing the original pressure of the tank it is still not possible to accurately know what the pressure is. What I guess I need is a pressure gauge which mounts on the tank itself.
MGoodman

Post by MGoodman »

You can always use the pressure gauge on the end of your rifle or pistol tube.
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

You probably have this question solved. If not then pick up a 5 thousand psi gauge at a local welding shop. Tee it into your SCBA fill adapter for the fire station system. Since the station does not a separate regulator, gauge and hose they have the fill station regulated for 4500 psi for their SCBA tanks. Way too dangerous to fill a 200 din tank without separate regulator and gauge set for 3000 psi.
You could buy a 300 din scuba tank. The 4500 psi would probably be ok. But still flirting with danger not having a regulator between the high pressure tank and low pressure gun cylinder.