Aperture Cross Bar

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Anschutz

Aperture Cross Bar

Post by Anschutz »

What is the purpose(s) of the front iris that has the Aperture Cross Bar (made by Gehmann & Anschutz) ??

I look at the Cross Bar and wander . . . why? why a Cross Bar ?

Something to do with ensuring rifle is level without using a bubble level, vision, personal preference like scopes, etc.?

Thanks.
lyoke2

Re: Aperture Cross Bar

Post by lyoke2 »

I used a cross bar for a bit to make sure that I had a consistent cant. I now use spirit levels.

I still have a adjustable front aperture with a crossbar but I pretty much ignore it since I have the level on there.

It does make the front sight a bit "busy" compared to the floating ring apertures as there is more space being taken up in the front sight.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

Not the horizontal bar but the "cross" with aperture in the middle. Checking to make sure I worded the post clearly. ? ?

Thx Much.
lyoke2

Post by lyoke2 »

Gotcha,

I have seen the horizontal bar referenced as cross bar so I assumed you were referring to the horizontal.

I have not seen any shooters use the cross bar (with vertical and horizontal bars) before.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I know that at one time, and may still be the case, full bore rules in the UK did not allow the use of spirit levels. The Cross Bar was deemed useful for ensuring that the rifle was not canted. Are there any Commonwealth full bore shooters who would care to comment?

Rutty