Mantis X for air rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

deleted

Mantis X for air rifle?

Post by deleted »

Dear shooters,

I am thinking about buying the Mantis X to work on trigger control for 10m air rifle. Does anyone have experience with this device using on air rifles (I have a Feinwerkbau 800X). I heard that when you use it with life fire on air rifle/pistol it will also detect a shot when you load the gun? Is this device and the software usefull for dry/life fire in the air disciplines?
dschaller

Re: Mantis X for air rifle?

Post by dschaller »

I have been using them since the MantisX came out. I tested it on the air rifle used by a very good junior shooter, and it both detected live and dry-fire shots, and displayed the very little motion of a top level shooter. There are issues with detecting a "shot" when loading or setting the gun down less than gently, but it is also obvious that those are not real, and they can be deleted. I also have a SCATT, and while not able to detect aiming error (since the MantisX has no idea where the target is), but does a good job of relative hold size, motion and follow thru. It is also much easier to set up than the SCATT, which requires that I make the line safe to go down and set up the SCATT target frame. I usually just mount the MantisX on the gun using a tight rubber band and get good results.
bennybooboo

Post by bennybooboo »

When using the Mantis X on a rifle, have you seen a strong relationship between the actual POI and where the Mantis plotted the shot? (does it plot shots accurately?)
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

As I said, the MantisX has no idea where the gun is pointing, so it can't plot shot location. However, since it shows the motion of the gun before and following the shot and marks the firing point, I have been able to call direction of most shots (assuming the area of hold is centered on the target). It is a lot harder to get a good call on distance from the center.