Book Recommendations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TomJ

Book Recommendations

Post by TomJ »

I’m looking for a book or books to improve my offhand technique and mental approach to shooting in competition. The two I’m considering are the classic “Way of the Rifle” and Mental Training by Anne Jeppesen. I’d appreciate your comments and/or suggestions regarding these books or others you’d recommend. Thanks in advance for your input. Tom
lyoke2

Re: Book Recommendations

Post by lyoke2 »

Ways of the Rifle is a great reference. A ton of good material and pictures of different positions for standing and good notes for what to do and not do. Definitely make small changes to your position from this, you can easily see a lot of things you want to change.

Sport Psychology and Competition is a great book by MEC with exercises and a ton of content. It is a bit much but good to read a section every once and a while.

Bullseye Mind is a great read and a very consumable. It is pretty short but each chapter has a good lesson. I have read it a few times and re-read some chapters as refreshers.

Competitive Shooting by AA Yuryev is an older book but have referenced it a bit. Like the old version of Ways of the Rifle.

I like having them all in the library as reference but I had to start over I would get Bullseye Mind first then Ways of the Rifle. Solid investments that can help you right away.
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

Thanks for your comments. I’ve read “Bullseye Mind” and it is a very good read. Thanks again, Tom
DavZee

Post by DavZee »

I’ve become dedicated to the mental part of precision shooting and use the techniques outlined by
Lanny Bassham in his book “With winning in Mind” and his mental management system.
It has changed the way I approach training and my mindset before, during and after competition.