Less expensive rifle sights vs more expensive

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

lyoke2

Less expensive rifle sights vs more expensive

Post by lyoke2 »

I was surprised to see a Gehmann 590 Compact Rear Sight on one of the rifles of the winner of a European 3x40 Smallbore Championship the other day (can't remember which, it was on Facebook).

I have never really considered these sights before as you see mostly Anschutz 7020, Mec Spy, G&E, etc. which are are the more expensive end of sights.

I currently use a Mec Spy and Anschutz 7020.

Taking a look at the sights below:

Gehmann 590 Compact Rear Sight: https://oberleenterprises.com/product/g ... ear-sight/

TEC-HRO Precise Light Rear Sight: https://oberleenterprises.com/product/d ... ear-sight/

I was curious as to what the price factor is in these options and as you go up the scale. Quality of materials? Reliability? Consistent tracking?

Just curious! Thank you!
sturm88

Re: Less expensive rifle sights vs more expensive

Post by sturm88 »

A Singt consists of hole and two screws . Produsing doesn't need the most modern technologies. I thing almost all of top shooters use equipment that is provided by brends as ad.
Tim S

Re: Less expensive rifle sights vs more expensive

Post by Tim S »

Lyoke,

The difference between the Gehmann 590/Tec-Hro and the 7002 etc lies in the internal mechanism, rather than material (caveat I'm not a metallurgist, but the Gehmann appears to be aluminium). The Gehmann 590 is not so nicely finished externally, but it's simpler inside. The 7002 has internal dovetails with bearings, so precise machining and finishing is needed for accurate adjustment. In contrast the Gehmann has two screws pressing on a spring-loaded tube; it's a tube sight, working on the same principle as a Unertl mount.

I know of several 590s in use, and the owners are happy. I used the very similar Steyr for some years, and it worked well too. The downsides are that it is bulky, and seems not to have the largest adjustment range.