Cost to ad recoil dampener system to Feinwerkbau 601?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Hunterdude

Cost to ad recoil dampener system to Feinwerkbau 601?

Post by Hunterdude »

Hello, I am searching for a RH Feinwerkbau 603 full size, lots of 600 to 601 have turned up at value price, which leads me to wonder the cost and difficulty to ad the system to an older model. I am a Tool and Die maker so self machining is readily available, but I would just like to get a feel for how involved a project this might be. If you are familiar with the Feinwerkbau Recoil dampener system, I would love to hear from you!
James Storm

Re: Cost to ad recoil dampener system to Feinwerkbau 601?

Post by James Storm »

FWB did this in the late 1990s. I had one of those rifles, now sold, and got a letter from the factory regarding this modification. They said that the exact number of such modified rifles is not known but was "small". These rifles had the 603 recoil reduction capacity, but did not have the dry firing capacity of the 603. Before I wrote to FWB I did not find a single soul who had even heard of such a modification, Including Pilkington and Jim E. If you do the modification, are you going to fabricate the parts yourself? Jim S.
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

Jim, I am a Tool maker/hobbyist gunsmith. I was thinking of ordering the parts for a 603 dampener system and trying to fit them to a 601.
I have since found a Mint 603 so I am abandon this idea, thank you for replying to my thread. -Ben
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

That is probably a very sensible solution. I imagine FWB hasn't made any 603 parts for close to 20 years. However with your technical skills if you fabricated the parts and installed them, think what a story you would have to tell!