Air Rifle Balance Question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RobFarolino

Air Rifle Balance Question

Post by RobFarolino »

Ok, so maybe this is a dumb question but...when setting up a 10M air rifle for the first time is there a preferred balance point or is it a matter of personal preference? I have read that the rifle should balance in your palm just in front of the trigger guard but I've also read that it should be muzzle heavy for greater stability. I'd appreciate some input as my son is new to this sport and I want him to have a good starting point.

Thanks
Rob
Pat McCoy

Re: Air Rifle Balance Question

Post by Pat McCoy »

Personal preference, and it changes as you age and your body can no longer handle a heavy forward balance. At 72 I've moved the balance more towards my support hand (due to degenerating discs in my back).
Modena

Post by Modena »

I think the palm rest being center of gravity is the recommended staring point, and indeed for some people this will be best. There are certainly top shooters who use this point, as well as top shooters who prefer muzzle heavy and top shooters who prefer butt heavy. Everyone's anatomy is different, and the best way to find what works for you is to experiment.
ZD

Post by ZD »

I have a couple of comments on this; as I spent quite a bit of time re-balancing my air rifle as well as experimenting with others on our shooting team.
I found two areas of success; right above the support hand (as was recommended above) and/or back weight. I do not like muzzle heavy air rifles, simply because an air rifle buttplate tends to slip out of your shoulder if the muzzle is heavy. So, back weight helps with that. Too much back weight, and the gun may feel too light. Remember that you are limited to 12.12 pounds (if I remember correctly). I do not recommended barrel weights. But obviously preference comes into play.

-Zach
spektr

Post by spektr »

Being an older dood, a cg forward of my palm is a but unwieldy for me as I tire myself holding it up and my scores drop off. It got a lot better when I noticed people weighting the back of the gun. Look at all the weight on Petra Zublasings rifle for example. Doing that didnt tire me out much since I shoot standing off with an offhand stand. It did allow me to hang a bit of noseweight on the muzzle to add stability with little ill effect.....