Shoot the damn thing!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Shoot the damn thing!

Post by Rover »

A quick look around at one of our AP matches....four shooters had between them TWELVE top of the line guns.

Each claimed that no ONE gun shot higher scores than the others.

So much for, "Pick the one that feels best.", theory of gun purchase selection.
ChipEck

Re: Shoot the damn thing!

Post by ChipEck »

Ha, I have nine myself. To be fair, I use mine to get new shooters hooked. I have found, that with kids, the air pistol is the roadblock. Or else they buy a $60 air pistol that frustrates them.

Chip
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Rover wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:38 am A quick look around at one of our AP matches....four shooters had between them TWELVE top of the line guns.

Each claimed that no ONE gun shot higher scores than the others.

So much for, "Pick the one that feels best.", theory of gun purchase selection.
Owning multiple pistols isn't the issue. How many different ones do they compete with? I've got 4 different air pistols, but I only compete with my Morini. Two of the others are "starter" pistols to train beginners, and one is a 5-shot Steyr for bullseye practice.

Lots of people collect pistols over time as new ones come out, and hang onto the old ones out of inertia or as "back-up" pistols.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I said, " TWELVE top of the line guns." No crap, no losers, no only compete with one.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

They can't shoot them all at once. Do they cycle through them in strict rotation, or do they have "favorites"? I suspect the latter.
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

At one point I had an LP1, FWB P40, FWB65, Morini 162ei. I shot each of them and sold off the two that did not like me. I can understand having a spare, but for me that would mean 2 identical set ups.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Rover wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:38 amfour shooters had between them TWELVE top of the line guns. Each claimed that no ONE gun shot higher scores than the others.
Were any of those four shooters shooting above 570? If so, they will know which gun will allow them to do so...
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, before I got old and blind I used to do it with a FWB 90 (long departed).
javaduke

Post by javaduke »

Roger, I think you are mixing up the objective accuracy of a pistol vs personal preferences about the trigger feel, balance, grip, etc. As I told you, I do have two pistols (had another one but sold it a few years ago) and there IS one I shoot the best, simply because it *FEELS* better than the other one. But I'm 100% sure if I secured both in a ransom rest and compared apples to apples, both guns would've been well within the 10 ring if not the inter 10. I also don't believe a choice of pellets would've made any difference (well, except of some that are known to be total crap). I firmly believe that our choice of equipment and ammo (and air!) is 99% subjective, but it still does help is shoot better scores, we just have to acknowledge that it is a placebo effect.

That said I do know that my blue air cylinder shoots better than the red one! It's a hard scientific fact and you can't prove me wrong! :)))
BEA

Post by BEA »

There are different ways that shooters choose to enjoy our sport. One of these ways is owning various models. I cannot criticize someone for what they own unless they are spending my money. How they spend their money is none of my business. However, if a shooter wants my opinion on maximizing their chances to shoot high scores, my advice would be to focus on using one of the top models and leave the others alone. If their enjoyment is trying different guns and being around other like minded friends, welcome aboard. I enjoy seeing what they have and hearing their thoughts.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

BEA wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm There are different ways that shooters choose to enjoy our sport. One of these ways is owning various models. I cannot criticize someone for what they own unless they are spending my money. How they spend their money is none of my business. However, if a shooter wants my opinion on maximizing their chances to shoot high scores, my advice would be to focus on using one of the top models and leave the others alone. If their enjoyment is trying different guns and being around other like minded friends, welcome aboard. I enjoy seeing what they have and hearing their thoughts.
I can't possibly take you seriously. You have what, 200 posts? Rover has more than 5,000.

Come back when you have more experience, "BEA" (if that is your real name).

Sheesh. Some people...
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

User avatarjohn bickar
Post by john bickar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:31 am

BEA wrote: ↑Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm
There are different ways that shooters choose to enjoy our sport. One of these ways is owning various models. I cannot criticize someone for what they own unless they are spending my money. How they spend their money is none of my business. However, if a shooter wants my opinion on maximizing their chances to shoot high scores, my advice would be to focus on using one of the top models and leave the others alone. If their enjoyment is trying different guns and being around other like minded friends, welcome aboard. I enjoy seeing what they have and hearing their thoughts.
I can't possibly take you seriously. You have what, 200 posts? Rover has more than 5,000.

Come back when you have more experience, "BEA" (if that is your real name).

Sheesh. Some people...

Sheesh indeed !.....I saw nothing wrong with the comment posted regarding pistol choice or numbers, and 200 posts versus 5000 doesn’t mean that a person gains wisdom as the number of posts increases.

Often times 5000 posts is more an indicator of a person needing a more balanced life and is certainly no guarantee that everything having been said made a lot of sense or was worth keeping for later reference.

This forum is about information exchange and accepting that there are many ways of reaching a valid solution....sometimes not necessarily your own.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Someone's sarcasm detector is broken.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

john bickar wrote:I can't possibly take you seriously. You have what, 200 posts? Rover has more than 5,000.
Sarcasm that is, of course.
deadeyedick wrote: Often times 5000 posts is more an indicator of a person needing a more balanced life and is certainly no guarantee that everything having been said made a lot of sense or was worth keeping for later reference.
Yes, I agree on that one.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

northpaw wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:14 am
deadeyedick wrote: Often times 5000 posts is more an indicator of a person needing a more balanced life and is certainly no guarantee that everything having been said made a lot of sense or was worth keeping for later reference.
Yes, I agree on that one.
So do I; oh whoops.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's true I have about nine times the posts that John Bickar has, but every one of his is a pearl of wisdom while many of mine are just trolls to get some of you foaming at the mouth while giving my friends a laugh..
prowling

Post by prowling »

deadeyedick wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:08 am This forum is about information exchange and accepting that there are many ways of reaching a valid solution....sometimes not necessarily your own.
You know, when I started this forum back in the late-20th century (it was air pistol specific then), I hoped that it would become a bridge, connecting precision shooters around the globe. It has indeed become a great bridge. And, as anyone familiar with folklore knows, every great bridge needs a troll. So relax. It's entertainment for some, and really—as the old Norse saying goes—hvat's troll nema þat?
BEA

Post by BEA »

Deleted
Last edited by BEA on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Thankfully, Rover hasn't made the multi gun analogy comparing airguns to women and describing the tactile differences between redheads, blondes and brunet's and how its all a matter of feel.......
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

BEA wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:47 am The blend of those 2 might be the perfect human. Might you 2 be interested in donating blood to the other? Rover and John...blood brothers...LMAO!
See now, you should've stopped at 239 posts.