Cannot extract live rounds

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ProdigalSon

Cannot extract live rounds

Post by ProdigalSon »

My KK300 seems to have a very tight chamber, to the point that I can barely get it to close on CCI (which I do not use as a result). Even with ammo that does chamber well, like Aguila and SK, the rifling engages as the bolt closes and I can’t usually extract a live round - the rifling holds stronger than the dual extractors. Is this normal in a rifle of this type, or is it cause for concern or a need for inspection?
40xguy

Re: Cannot extract live rounds

Post by 40xguy »

it's my understanding that the American ammo (CCI) is slightly larger than the European ammo. consequently, it may not fit or gets stuck in the European guns. try using SK, Lapua, Eley, etc.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Tim S

Re: Cannot extract live rounds

Post by Tim S »

ProdigalSon wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:38 am My KK300 seems to have a very tight chamber, to the point that I can barely get it to close on CCI (which I do not use as a result). Even with ammo that does chamber well, like Aguila and SK, the rifling engages as the bolt closes and I can’t usually extract a live round - the rifling holds stronger than the dual extractors. Is this normal in a rifle of this type, or is it cause for concern or a need for inspection?
As 40X guy notes, CCI is dimensionally larger than Eley, Lapua/SK and RWS match ammo. I suspect the parallel section is longer. It's perfectly normal for a round to engage with the rifling as the bolt closes, even shorter European match brands; most modern match rifles have a short (and tight) chamber, enough that a round only chambers fully as the bolt cams shut.

Your cleaning habits have an effect too. When did you last clean the bore? A few hundred rounds worth of crud is enough to make loading stiffer. A good clean with a brush, solvent (Hoppe's, Shooter's Choice, Boretech RF Blend, Parker-Hale 009 take your pick) and patches should make it smoother again.

As for ejecting a live round, some will and some won't. My Kenyon-smithed Anschutz will eject a live round (which shows rifling marks to the second driving band), but others won't. I think the strength of the claw springs is a factor, as well as chamber dimensions.