3P vs Standing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

StuckinNY

3P vs Standing

Post by StuckinNY »

Greetings-- Just wanted to pick everyones brain on the focus of training. My 14 y/o daughter has had some very good success in Air Rifle and desires to shoot at the collegiate level. We will be do doing as many matches/ camps as possible but I am starting to question the continued value of 3P in preparing her to meet her goals. At the Sporter level, 3P helped build a foundation and teach the fundamentals, but now it seems to occupy valuable practice time. The biggest hesitation to focusing on the ISSF rules only would be the a disadvantage when it comes to the opportunities the American Legion offers.

Thoughts or insight appreciated.
pfiori

Re: 3P vs Standing

Post by pfiori »

At the collegiate level there are 2 events in the sport, Smallbore 3P and Air rifle standing. Both are contested under rules that closely follow the ISSF rules. If your daughter's goal is to shoot in college, I will suggest that you focus on ISSF (USA Shooting) style smallbore 3p and air rifle.
Where in New York are you located?

Pete
StuckinNY

Post by StuckinNY »

Duchess County NY-- which is one reason the main focus has been Air Rifle. Smallbore opportunities are very scarce around here.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Pete is 100% correct. You must find a way to shoot SB.

At 14/15 learning how to shoot matches, how to win matches, how to recover from mistakes etc are important skills. They can be learned in 3p air if the oppertunity is better. Great 3p air shooters cant shoot SB but good SB shooters literally can pick up an airrifle and shoot great 3p air.
pfiori

Post by pfiori »

Are you aware of the Delaware and Hudson league that is shot at West Point ?
If not, PM me your email and I will forward the info. First match is in 2 weeks.
StuckinNY

Post by StuckinNY »

I have not--PM Sent-Thanks
StuckinNY

Post by StuckinNY »

Thanks for the suggestions-- We shoot any match we can get to offered by the CMP, American Legion or 4H. Should we be looking anywhere else?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

redschietti wrote:Pete is 100% correct. You must find a way to shoot SB.
No problem at all with this statement.

However, I would not go so far here
redschietti wrote:Great 3p air shooters cant shoot SB but good SB shooters literally can pick up an airrifle and shoot great 3p air.
I would say "Normally" .... but very few right off the bat. Any 3-P experience an airgun shooter brings into smallbore helps. Probably the first experience that most 3-P air shooters find when they shoot their first smallbore shot is the surprise at how much the gun moves around.

All above are correct in that if she wants to have a collegiate career, she needs to pick up the smallbore ... and the earlier the better.

There are a few rule differences between ISSF and collegiate, but minor to make the matches flow quicker. ISSF shoots 3x40 and NCAA 3x20.
The other rule mods and interpretations can be found here:
http://www.ncaa.org/playing-rules/rifle-rules-game

The matches at West Point should be used as much as you can ... great asst coach there who is fairly young herself and likes to work w/ younger shooters. :-)
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

Good article on collegiate opportunities: http://www.theshootersedge.us/are-you-t ... n-college/
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

rtucker6508 wrote:Good article on collegiate opportunities: http://www.theshootersedge.us/are-you-t ... n-college/
Excellent article.
Some Comments:
1) Grades Grades Grades, ACT/SAT, ACT/SAT, ACT/SAT
Grades matter! A collegiate coach does NOT need a shooter that may become ineligible during the season ... GRADES MATTER!
Also take the SAT & ACT early & often --- start in your Sophomore year here

2)Go the the NCAA Eligibility website & register ... yes early is OK ... to me the earlier the better. Mostly to make sure that the classes you are taking in High School are the correct ones to be eligible to compete in college.

3) Don't go to college to shoot ... go to get your degree, so take care in picking schools that have a degree program that interests you, then select on the shooting quality & scholarship opportunities.

4) Service Academies ... from some experience here, from me to you. A service academy is for those who want to lead. They are there to build the leaders for our armed forces. You may be leading others in combat or in very high stress situations. Yeah, they are "full ride" (actually taxpayer funded!), but don't go there just to shoot (or play any other sport). Apply & go if you want to learn to lead in some of the best learning programs that are out there --- treat your sport as a stress reliever while you are there.

5) Did you get the point about Grades? And the SAT/ACTs? good.
StuckinNY

Post by StuckinNY »

Thanks so much for the feedback--good stuff--glad I posted my questions. As a HS teacher I can attest to the need for good grades. I have seen too many former students not make it through their first September at school. Grades serve not only as a gauge of ability but also reflect work ethic and dedication--qualities any coach or employer look for.
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

jhmartin wrote:
rtucker6508 wrote:Good article on collegiate opportunities: http://www.theshootersedge.us/are-you-t ... n-college/
Excellent article.
Thank you Sir! I added a new one as you mentioned the Eligibility Center... http://www.theshootersedge.us/ncaa-eligibility-center/