coming back after 30yrs, 10mt Air Rifle question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tangohammerli

coming back after 30yrs, 10mt Air Rifle question

Post by Tangohammerli »

I shot as a jr in the 80s and want to get back in the game.
Can you tell me if my stock Anschutz 2002 SSP and 16/1807 are still legal?
Ive seen so many new butplates and such..
My 13yr old will be joining me and want to see if upgrades are needed to stay legal..
jhmartin

Re: coming back after 30yrs, 10mt Air Rifle question

Post by jhmartin »

Please post some pics and some will point you to the specific rule for you to measure the area.

I know that the 2002CA in the metal stock is not legal anymore here in the US except for some junior events ... and if a shooter qualifies for an international event w/ one they would be required to obtain a legal gun.
( see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53308&p=256303&hilit=2002CA#p256303 )

The 2002 SSP and the CA in the wood stock I don't know about as I do not have access to either to make some measurements. The 140mm dimension at the bottom of the buttplate holder is what nixs the alum stock.
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

Tim S

Post by Tim S »

An 1807 or 1607 is still legal for ISSF 50m events, and domestic Smallbore too. The old UIT Standard Rifle match was dropped in 1997, but the rules were relaxed, not tightened.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Tangohammerli wrote:same as pictured in this link.
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/ansc ... -2002-ssp/
Anschutz considers the 2002 series as main battle tanks ... with a bit of maintenance they will shoot 10's for years & years, basically forever ... everything is overbuilt on the beast.

That's what really frosts me. I have one I've put away that I picked up in 2006 for $750 and both my daughters who shot precision used it ... my youngest until it was made illegal by ISSF and she was a junior in college.
(I don't think Anschutz raised enough hell to keep that gun legal .....)

She borrowed a Walther for a weekend and has never looked back. She shoots a KK-500 too.
(Yes, Dad's wallet is much lighter!)
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

got my 2002 for a song and was most recently using it for pest control until my 13yr old got interested in Shooting with 4H. I believe it will be legal there.
As a first responder with a limited budget, it will have to do...
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

Pretty certain 140 mm measurement does not apply to wooden stock rifles.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Tavishwm wrote:Pretty certain 140 mm measurement does not apply to wooden stock rifles.
You are correct!! Forgot about that.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Tangohammerli wrote:got my 2002 for a song and was most recently using it for pest control until my 13yr old got interested in Shooting with 4H. I believe it will be legal there.
As a first responder with a limited budget, it will have to do...
Depends on the state you are in and if she is interested in going to 4-H Nationals.

Most (if not all) 4-H air rifle shooting is "Sporter" airgun governed by the CMP 3-PAR sporter rules for the 3-P and standing events. Precision guns are not allowed --- the 2002 would be precision.
Years ago (12-13) a precision gun was legal in the silhouette portion, but they moved that more into line with NRA rules and also only allow the same guns across all the events now.
see here: https://4h.unl.edu/shooting-sports/national-rules
JDMANN

Post by JDMANN »

We Louisiana 4-H people are sure NOT happy with the new Sporter Silhouette Rule for Nationals.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

What is the new rule?
Sporter rifles have been mandated since at least 2007 in the National rules.
I had purchased 2 Anschutz 8002's in 2006 due to the horizontal cocking lever which would have been great for scoped use.

NRA changed their rules that year and created the Sporter & Target classes, 4-H wisely followed.
I was able to get some of my shooters into precision using those guns. (Including my youngest)

I applaud 4-H in using the "Sporter" class in silhouette thereby letting the kids shoot the same gun across all of the events.
Much less expensive for the individuals and teams.

Now ... am I hypocritical in being satisfied with the 4-H smallbore rules allowing ... pretty much mandating (if you are to be competitive) ... a different rifle for each event ... maybe so.

Many of us, who coach both sporter & precision air, have lobbied for as long as I've been in this game (since 2003) that 4-H allow even an exhibition precision airgun event at Nationals. Squashed like a cockroach every time.

Not every location like where I am (New Mexico) has air rifle programs that openly welcome JROTC, 4-H & club programs like we do, but we had a man that believed that getting as many kids involved in shooting as possible was a good thing.
Bill Barker sadly passed away last summer, but our programs are still cooperating and going strong.