No Buckeye Open in 2018....

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bdutton

No Buckeye Open in 2018....

Post by bdutton »

From Coach Tanoue:

Unfortunately I was informed yesterday that we will not be able to host the Buckeye Open in 2018. This has been a discussion that has taken place over the past several months and ultimately the decision was made by the University and Athletic Department due to safety and liability concerns.

This will be a tough loss for the team as it was a great event for us over the past 5 seasons, and we very much appreciate your support of the match over the years. We are going to continue to work to have the match reinstated for next season.

Seems like a knee jerk reaction from the school administration. One of the safest sports in all NCAA and they cancel due to what on the surface appears to be safety/liability concerns.
abrasivereshaping

Re: No Buckeye Open in 2018....

Post by abrasivereshaping »

Hopefully Coach Tanoue can still host the NJOSC qualifier in December!
MikeBoy

Post by MikeBoy »

All rifle and pistol events that were open to public have been cancelled at OSU. This includes the Ohio State Indoor Championship that has been conducted here for the past 94 years. The Jr. Buckeye league canceled. Central Ohio Rifle league canceled. NRA Sectionals canceled. These are yet more nails in the coffin of shooting sports here in Ohio.

In a few short years coach Tanoue will only be recruiting European athletes.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

What precipitated OSU's new "safety and liability concerns"? Hopefully these "concerns" won't extend to competitions at OSU against other collegiate rifle and pistol teams.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

Hopefully this is merely some administrative over reaction to misinformation from a clueless risk department. If there has been some change in way the insurance company for the university views the rifle range and the rifle team, then every single collegiate rifle coach, whether NCAA Div 1, or club level needs to formulate 1 voice and put the brakes on this immediately.

Why? If the governor of state of New York can coerce the banking and insurance industry to squeeze the NRA in an attempt to force his agenda for gun control, this could very easily spill over to all the shooting sports. I'm not saying this is the future or this is what is happening, but someone at the OSU might share the same opinion of Cuomo. Always follow the money.

It just raises a red flag for me.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

I am not 100% sure, but I believe UW-Oshkosh has shut down their rifle range as well. So another college team gone :-(

Chip
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Good morning-

Ohio State Rifle and Pistol are still in business:

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.com

In the past the pistol team invited the public in for special matches and competition. When Coach K retired from pistol, all those competitions were ended by the University. One suspects the same has happened to rifle- no competitions involving the public, only students and staff.

One less location to shoot, that had a friendly and welcoming atmosphere!

Kind regards,
m1963
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

I would think that Ohio State has some bigger issues to solve with the ethics of its football program instead of screwing over the rifle and pistol teams. The rifle and pistol teams, of course, are made up of a much higher ethical group of people than their other sports... just a random thought!