Target Size and Height Calculator

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ramon OP

Target Size and Height Calculator

Post by Ramon OP »

Hi shooters,

I've created a calculator to help me set a target of the right size and at the right height at home> https://www.olympicpistol.com/target-calculator.html

Before creating the calculator I tried to do it with a friend and my wife measuring the height of the pistol, but the sensations where off. I wanted to have something that did not need to wait for anyone and that I could adapt all the time (I change training spots at home).

I hope you find it useful!
Ramon
SlartyBartFast

Re: Target Size and Height Calculator

Post by SlartyBartFast »

I'm confused as to why you'd need to measure anyone to get the required height.

The height of targets is set in the rulebook. And if that height is to center of target, doesn't change with distance.

I've scaled targets before based on simple geometry and then discovered that's not how to accurately scale a target. The circles are all reduced by the geometric percentage, then additionally by one half diameter of the projectile. To make scoring the same at the different distances with the same shot.

Of course for training at home, I wouldn't think that last adjustment is crucial.

Take my comments with a big grain of salt, pretty inexperienced with this and expect others with more experience to correct me.

And congratulations and bravo for sharing tools you develop with everyone.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

@SlartyBartFast you take the height of the eye measure to figure out the high corner of the triangle used to calculate distances. Even if the target is at a fixed height, as you move far from it the angle of sight changes and the target seems to go up. You want to keep that angle even if the target is at 2 meters instead of ten. Do a test, point at something with your hand and move back keeping your arm steady in the same position: you will see how the target goes up!

The size of the target also changes because what you care about is keeping the apparent size, so that the black looks to be the same size over your front sight. This makes training at home more realistic.

I only do dry firing at home and shooting at the range. As soon as you change the distance scoring does not matter.
Ramon
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

SlartyBartFast wrote: The height of targets is set in the rulebook. And if that height is to center of target, doesn't change with distance.
If you want to replicate shooting at 10m then you need to replicate te angle of the arm and the ralationship to the eye. You therefore need to change the height of the target.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

David Levene wrote:
SlartyBartFast wrote: The height of targets is set in the rulebook. And if that height is to center of target, doesn't change with distance.
If you want to replicate shooting at 10m then you need to replicate te angle of the arm and the ralationship to the eye. You therefore need to change the height of the target.
Gotcha! Didn't consider that.
Thanks for correcting me.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Here's a formula I came up with for training for 10 m pistol at reduced distance:

TH = [(10.00 - SD)/10] [EH - 1.40] + 1.40

Where TH is the adjusted center of the target, SD is the shooting distance, and EH is the height of my eye
when in the shooting position.

I based it on what little I remember of trigonometry. Target size should be reduced, as mentioned above, by the same ratio as the ratio of the new distance and the official distance.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

@SlartyBartFast I've updated the blogpost to include my response to your questions. I hope it is useful for future readers. Please take a look and let me know.
Ramon
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Wanted to share what i came up with for shooting at 7m in my garage. At 7m the black diameter becomes 42mm. I cutout a 42mm dia circle in a target and use it as a template to draw new targets, just a black disk, no scoring rings. For scoring i calculated the ring diameters, drew them in a drawing program (the attached .pdf) and had them printed on a transparency where the dashed circle is the 42mm black diameter. Shoot then overlay the transparency on the shot target to score. The picture shows the general idea. It is actually 7 layered photos of 6 targets and the transparency.
Attachments
layeredTargets.png
layeredTargets.png (135.45 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
7m air pistol scoring rings.pdf
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 106 times