Run out of windage

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Rhysatkins

Run out of windage

Post by Rhysatkins »

I bought a new Walther LG400 about 6 months ago but have only just got Round to using it. I was zeroing the sights tonight and whilst It would hold very tight groups they were way to the left. It took winding the sights right to the end to get it to the edge of the 9 ring? I was using the Walther rear sight from my kk500 rather than the one that it came with but I don’t think that is the issue

so what is the issue?
Martin Catley

Re: Run out of windage

Post by Martin Catley »

First try the original sight, one of them may be offset for that particular action. What I would try first not knowing either set up.
Peakconti

Post by Peakconti »

I have come across this problem many times while coaching. When swapping sights, or getting a new rifle without sights and so on. Its normally one of two things the front sight or the rear sight is miss aligned. Normally what I do is I have the windage centered the best I can, then adjust either the front or rear sights so that the bullet finally hits the black. By adjusting the way the sight is attached to the rifle (not the sight adjustment). Obviously if you have a blub tub then that's the obvious cause. Sometimes it how you tighten down the sight to the stock. One side is just in more that the other. Maybe the rear sight groove is lightly wider than where it attaches to the rifle.
Modena

Post by Modena »

I have a LG400 also. I would guess your extension tube is not correctly aligned. The two little grub screws have recesses in the carbon fibre for them to seat. Remove the tube, and you will see teh two little holes. And please, use a light touch on the screws!
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

I trust that you do not have - and it is rather unlikely, I admit - the same problem that one of our club members had with his new KK300, namely that the front dovetail had been machined incorrectly, so that it was not aligned with the rear one. He ran out of windage also, and Walther were not good or prompt at putting it right. He ended up with the original barrel re-machined. Not an ideal solution, I would have thought. I would have wanted a new barrel altogether.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Cumbrian wrote:I would have thought. I would have wanted a new barrel altogether.
Roger,

Doesn't the KK300 have an aluminium collar to mount the foresight? I think Walther would be pretty generous to give a whole barrel rather than a collar.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Tim,

Yes, you are right, now you mention it. I was probably unintentionally misled by my fellow member, who was very upset about it, wouldn't really talk about it, and didn't show us the barrel/collar! All I that gathered was that re-machining was required and it took ages for Walther U.K. to fix it and there was talk of the rifle having to be re-proofed (don't think that actually happened, however), so I assumed there was something wrong with the barrel itself, but presumably there wasn't.

Roger

P.S. Just a thought: is it possible that the barrel had actually been incorrectly machined, however slightly, where it is due to receive the collar? I don't know how the collar is fixed on - slides? screws?or what? - but presumably the collar's dovetail is machined off the barrel or do Walther machine the dovetail once it is on the barrel? All a mystery to me.
Rifle Coach

Post by Rifle Coach »

Rhysatkins,

I've been reading posts on Targettalk for years now, but after seeing yours I thought this is a good time to sign up so I can give a reply.
A few years ago, I experienced the same issue you are having with a new LG400 that I purchased for my daughter. It was shipped to my home and she was to pick it up during college break. Since it was in my possession of course I needed to try it out. It worked fine during a match on paper targets, but in a match on electronic targets I ran out of clicks to the right. I suppose the calibration was slightly off on the target system, but it still should have been able to adjust. Another coach mentioned about flipping the risers blocks, so instead of the attachment screws on the right side, they would now be on the left side (or vise versa). If memory serves correctly, I think I only flipped the rear sight riser. Prior to doing this, it only had 1 revolution of clicks to the right from center of a paper target. After flipping the risers, it allowed 4 full revolutions to the left and 5 full revolutions to the right. The sight I was working with was the Walther Insight-Out Expert with adjustable height risers I believe made by Centra. I hope this helps you.

Tom
Rhysatkins

Post by Rhysatkins »

Thanks for this tom, This is exactly what I have ended up doing and has fixed the problem