best $15 I spent on shooting in a long time

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

best $15 I spent on shooting in a long time

Post by seamaster »

I had to curtail my shooting this year because I just can't see the front sight well.

After a full day on computer, the ability to focus is gone.

It was bothersome to see doubles. Doubles THROUGH ONE EYE, even with the other eye patched for shooting.

Two double top front sights. I can shoot with it, but certainly not precision shooting.

My ophthalmologist friend said my double vision is from dry eye after a full day of close computer work.

I used dry eye lubricant with some improvement, but sight is far from perfect.

Recently, started using this https://www.lumifydrops.com/?utm_medium ... rce=google

It is advertised to make red eye gone, by arterioconstriction / venoconstriction.

It is an alpha 2 agonist. Same drug used for open angle glaucoma, but at 1/10 of the dose.

Result from this eye drop is amazing. Cristal clear vision, even when I feel my eyes are tired at the end of the day.

No more double vision at the end of a tiring day. Makes shooting 10M at the end of the day very relaxing. I can not praise how much clearly I am seeing with this eye drop. Perfectly clear front sight.

Asked my neuro-ophthalmologist friend at Baskin Palmar Eye Institute Miami, what gives. He said at such a small concentration, it should not have an effect on dropping the intra-ocular pressure as a glaucoma drug. Its arterioconstriction/ venoconstriction must have some significant effect on ameliorating corneal swelling when eyes are dry or tired.

Any way, just want to share this simple "Red eye out" eye drop that just came out. You can buy it over the counter for $15.

This is the best $15 I spent on shooting in a long time.
d-cuttler

Re: best $15 I spent on shooting in a long time

Post by d-cuttler »

You might also try this:

Sodium chloride ophthalmic solution 5% Put a few drops in each eye before going to sleep. It helps reduce swelling under the cornia, and really reduces eye strain and swelling the next day.

It's available at Walgreens under their house brand, or you can pay more for a brand name, but it's all the same.

I am not suggesting to do this instead of the other solution you are using, but you may be surprised how much easier your time at a computer well be.

Regards,
David
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Comparing Lumify and 5% hypertonic saline solution.

Used both for two weeks now.

Both work well.

5% saline salt solution stings a lot. Makes my eyes water for about a minute, then eyes look like those of a crying rabit for 20 minutes, then clear up. So have to use it at night, or use it in private for 20 minutes before seeing people in public, for my eyes will look like that of a crying movie star. This must be the eye drops that movie stars use before shooting their crying scenes.

Lumify, alpha 2 agonist, works in seconds, feels cool, eyes look very white, effect last a good 5-8 hours.

Both are very good drugs to decrease corneal edema.

Have been shooting clear eyed for past two weeks after a full day of close up computer reading.

In general, eye sight is sharper, world looks sharper. Can not be happier with those eye drops.

Three colleagues at work are also using this. Everyone commented how sharp things look at night. No halo, night lights are sharp and clearly delineated.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I tried the saline last night, and the Lumify this morning when I first got up so I'd have time before putting in my contact lenses.

Too soon to say for certain, but my first impression is that they helped significantly. Not sure which has the biggest impact, and I will do further experimenting.

I also find the saline really stingy. I'm also a lousy shot with the eye drops. I had eye surgery for detached retinas about 30 years ago, and after a month of multiple eye drops a day, I got much better. When I mostly missed with the Lumify, my reaction was "there goes 50 cents". That stuff is pricey...
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

I bought the first bottle 0.25cc at local drug store. Second bottle 0.75cc, three times the volume from Amazon for three dollars more.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

I tried it and it does help.

Chip
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

5% saline sounds like ouch. Sea water is less than 4%. Lumify sounds like it's worth a try, though; better shooting through Chemistry.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Eye strain is caused by the ciliary muscle having to exert all day to bring your focus close, because the lens in your eye has gotten tough with age, so it does not deform as easily as it used to.

The remedy is to boost the power on your lenses to shift your relaxed focal point in a little closer. Not so far as to give you a perfect front sight, because that robs you of too much clarity on the target, but to get your eye to the point where you gain as much on the sight as you give up on the target.

Usually, irons on a pistol or an AR-15 A2 will require that you arr +0.75 to your distance vision prescription, for smallbore, match, palma, M1, etc with a longer sight radius, you add +0.50.

If you have daily contacts, get a 30 day trial pack with the sphere value for your shooting eye augmented by +0.50 or +0.75 and you will be amazed at the difference it makes.

For your computer screen, try +1.25 or +1.5. The diopter value if you are looking at a single object (ie this does not apply to shooting), is that diopters is the inverse of the lens focal length, in meters. So if you add +2.00 diopters to your distance vision, you will have a relaxed focal point at 1/2 meter (20 inches - good for reading), add +3.00 will focus at 1/3 meter (12" - good for small stuff up close). +0.50 diopter (1/2 diopter) will focus at 2 meters. Good for television, or smallbore rifle ....

Check out my website or call me if you want more info.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Very unfortunately, not all vision problem in shooting boils down to simple 1/diopter=focal point, add some hyperfocal distance if you got some residual ciliary function.

Seeing double is beyond that simple equation. It is more complex than that now. Circadian vitreous volume, corneal swelling, intraocular pressure, ciliary spasm. Unfortunately, much come into play beyond that diopter lens optics.
d-cuttler

Post by d-cuttler »

The nice thing about the saline solution is that it is very inexpensive, and a bottle seems to last forever. I don't mind the stinging, because it makes me think that something good is happening. I only use it in the evenings before going to sleep.

Regarding diopters, I use Knobloch shooting glasses with my normal bifocal perscription. The seg height is low to keep the reading part out of the way.

When shooting my high power bolt Gun or an air rifle, I have a Gahmann adjustable rear aperture with a Bob Jones 0.5 diopter insert. The AR15 also has a dedicated 1.0 diopter in the rear sight.

When I had cateract surgery on both my eyes, they inserted lenses with a correction that I will end up needing in the future, because I may end up needing cornia transplants. S.. t happens when you are 80 years old. Actually my cornias were getting contually worst, but the saline solution seems to have arrested that progression.

The cateract replacement lenses turned out to be almost perfect for focusing on the front sight of a pistol at arms length without any other glasses or diopters.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Based on the seamster's review, I bought some Lumify as well.

I also have constant trouble with dry eyes, and being an IT worker, this means long periods staring into a computer screen, which exacerbates this condition..

Lumify is not available in Australia so I had to hunt further afield - so bought 2 bottles off a trusted EBAY seller based in the US to try.

This stuff is amazing - hands down better than any other eye lubricant/mist/tears again that I have tried.

Amazing, amazing. I haven't gone blind yet either from self-administering eye drops based on an internet recommendation ( which is always dubious) , so this is another big bonus !

I have been so impressed that I now have just bought another 10 bottles off another trusted US based EBAY seller.

Thanks OP !
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Based entirely on the OP's review, I bought some. I have vitreal detachments in both eyes which are normally a little red always. Plopped in 1 drop each eye, waited 1 minute, and WOW! My eyes were as white as and looked like hard boiled eggs. No red whatsoever. I haven't noticed any improvement in vision quality or comfort, but they absolutely remove the red.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

I too drank the Coolaid and love it also! Thanks for the top tip.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Experimented with only drops in right eye only. There is still significant clarity at the end of the day.

I am doing just one eye now to make bottle last longer.