What happens when the front aperture is too big?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Modena

What happens when the front aperture is too big?

Post by Modena »

It is of course possible to go too small on the front aperture, and you can get an optical illusion where it still looks like you have a ring of white around the target, but light rays are bending.

But what happens if you go to big? Let's say that the "charts" recommend 4.2, what would happen if you used like 5.2? Apart from it looking different, and obviously if you went silly large it would become hard to center the target, but what would be the subtle effects that would creep up on you as you got larger and larger?
j-team

Re: What happens when the front aperture is too big?

Post by j-team »

Try shooting with no foresight element at all, just use the sight body.

You will be surprised how well you can do!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I've found I lose aiming precision when the foresight is way too big. My club uses undersized targets for the Christmas fun shoot, and I struggle at times, and tend to release shots more quickly than normal.

I'm not sure though what the effect would be with a foresight that's only slightly oversize.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Many years ago at our National Meeting I thought conditions merited a slightly larger foresight element than my usual 3.8 - so I put in a 4.0 and it looked HUGE when I was sighting in. But I persevered and shot pretty well on that detail - afterwards I looked a bit closer at the element and it was a 4.8.....

That was when I first realised I might benefit from reading glasses.

Going bigger is nowhere near as bad as going too small in my experience.