Dream Gun Cabinet

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

SlartyBartFast

Dream Gun Cabinet

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Hypothetically speaking, say I'm asking for a friend...

If you came into a decent amount of money, and while logic certainly dictated that you should invest it and not wildly spend it, you decide that a sizeable amount should be spent buying some of the toys and extravagances that you might not have been able to afford before.

If you had $8-10k to spend on an assortment of shooting sports related equipment, and all you currently had were a basic and an old model pistol what would you buy?

No interest in hunting, primarily interested in precision and ISSF disciplines, but interested in exploring other disciplines.

Wasn't impressed by club store. Asked about a precision 9mm and was presented a Ruger 1911 and told it's pricey. Asked my budget I said anything up to 2 or 2.5k if it's worth it. Sales guy responded "For a 9mm?". Didn't know what to say. They've had top price CZs and Sig X5 that was more than $3k sold in their store recently.

So I had a look at the Ruger, was mildly surprised and the feel of the trigger, but decided I need to seek advice elsewhere.

Some toys that have been pondered:
Pistol - Something fun and precise in 9mm
Competition rimfire - Pardini? Walther SSP?
Revolver - maybe a .38?
O/U shotgun
Precision rimfire rifle
Pistol calibre caribine

Maybe, just go full lunatic. Blow the whole budget on the least number of guns possible. Buy a Matchguns MG2 and the new Feinwerkbau 2800.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Mike M.

Re: Dream Gun Cabinet

Post by Mike M. »

Depends on just what disciplines I wanted to shoot. Were I in your shoes, I'd try out for the Canadian Muzzle-Loading Team. They're looking for shooters.

Now, were I trying to get started in the MLAIC pistol disciplines:
Cominazzo (flintlock pistol): Pedersoli LePage. Around $1200
Kuchenreuter (percussion pistol): Baumkircher or Dedinski underhammer. Around $2200.
Mariette (repro revolver): Pedersoli Remington. Be sure to get the high-grade model. Around $1200
Colt (original revolver): Remington model 1863.

As to your original questions:
Pistol - Pardini GT or Sig P210
Competition rimfire - Pardini, mostly due to the product support
Revolver - S&W 686
O/U shotgun - Beretta 686 or Browning Citori, whichever fits you better
Precision rimfire rifle - Anschutz to budget
Pistol calibre caribine - Build to spec.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Does your wife know that your "friend" has suddenly come into some money he intends to fritter away? :)

My picks =

Pistol - Something fun and precise in 9mm = SIG P210 ( Sig-Neuhausen, not German or new American made travesties )
Competition rimfire - Pardini? Walther SSP? = I have had them all, but you can't go past a Pardini. Have a look at Benelli as well ( very high quality of manufacture )
Revolver - maybe a .38? = Manurhin MR73 .38 Match
O/U shotgun = Anything by Miroku ( Japanese high quality at a reasonable price )
Precision rimfire rifle = Anschutz
Pistol calibre caribine = Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm ( if still available )
j-team

Post by j-team »

For ISSF: Pardini SP-RF

For the sake of owning: SIG P210 (yes the real Swiss one).

And for MLAIC Cominzzo: not the Pedersoli lePage that Mike recommends but look for a good used Hege Manton! Plus a Dedinski Billingurst so you can shoot Kuchenreuter too.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Two consecutive serial-number Unfired Colt PYTHONS.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Leon wrote:Does your wife know that your "friend" has suddenly come into some money he intends to fritter away? :)

My picks =

Pistol - Something fun and precise in 9mm = SIG P210 ( Sig-Neuhausen, not German or new American made travesties )
Competition rimfire - Pardini? Walther SSP? = I have had them all, but you can't go past a Pardini. Have a look at Benelli as well ( very high quality of manufacture )
Revolver - maybe a .38? = Manurhin MR73 .38 Match
O/U shotgun = Anything by Miroku ( Japanese high quality at a reasonable price )
Precision rimfire rifle = Anschutz
Pistol calibre caribine = Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm ( if still available )
Leon! How can you put a Marlin Camp Carbine in the same list as P210 and MR73!!!!!!!!

Agree with the Miroku and Anchutz (model 1712 sporter rather than a target rifle please - or go completely crazy and get the Fortner action...).

Pistol calibre carbine.... deLisle of course!
sparky

Post by sparky »

I'd buy used to maximize my budget:

Pardini SP Bullseye - $1800
Rock River Arms 1911 Bullseye - $2000
CZ AccuShadow2 - $1500
S&W Model 14 Target Masterpiece - $600
Perazzi MT-6 12 gauge with set of Briley Sidekicks - $2300+$500
Ruger 10/22 tricked out - $700
AR-15 w/9mm top end that takes Glock mags - $600
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Colt first generation .45LC, full coverage engraved, silver finish with real ivory grips

Glock G17 gen 1 made in 1988 with original box and papers

Walther PPK .32acp made in 1935, full coverage engraved, silver finish with bone grips

American revolutionary war rifle bayonet, bright silver, no pitting or decay

HK MP5A4 with fixed stock, legally owned, with no papers in my name.
Last edited by Shooterer on Fri May 04, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Your "friend" has a good, yet difficult decision. All of the recommended guns are great choices, and although it is substantial, $10k is limited. You mention a plethora of different type Firearms. I might suggest he concentrate on 1) one or two type of guns, pistol, rifle, Rimfire, target, hunting, etc etc. Then he might consider how much and how often he/she might want to shoot, and what is the ongoing budget. RF is cheaper the CF, CCI cheaper than Eley, etc. Finally, is he the type of person than demands the best, irregardless of their skill, ( this has its one risks, E.g Poser) or would he be happier with perhaps a couple more guns or more ammo in the future?

When I went thru a similar situation a couple years ago, I decided to concentrate initially on 22 target pistols because of ease of shooting, cost of ammo, and availability of places to shoot.

Keep us posted, sound like fun!
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Leon wrote:Does your wife know that your "friend" has suddenly come into some money he intends to fritter away? :)
She does.
My rental property, my mortgage, my cash.
And I'll be "dragging" her away on more vacation travel thanks to the changes so she has nothing to complain about.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
massrog

Post by massrog »

Hands down anything from CZ Custom! My personal choice was SP-01 Shadow Custom Target a few years ago. Best trigger anyone who's tried it has ever shot. They make some really nice compacts too!
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

SlartyBartFast wrote:

[/quoteMy rental property, my mortgage, my cash.

Clearly Quebec has different laws than California.....

Except for the mortgage of course (lol)
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

j-team wrote:And for MLAIC Cominzzo: not the Pedersoli lePage that Mike recommends but look for a good used Hege Manton! Plus a Dedinski Billingurst so you can shoot Kuchenreuter too.
The problem being that a Hege-Manton is going to run you over $2k. More, if it's the fully engraved version. The underhammer is a tossup - I've got a couple of Baumkirchers, which I love.
dronning

Post by dronning »

A collector Grade M1-D WIN-13, pictured is a service grade.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin