Running out of clicks

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
conradin

Running out of clicks

Post by conradin »

I run out of clicks on my Steyr (T/H), as in I have to turn all the way towards the T. What sort of adjustment can I do beyond using the T/H click? Changing sight radius? Bring the front sight closer? Bring the back sight further forward? Changing front sight?
SamEEE

Re: Running out of clicks

Post by SamEEE »

conradin wrote:I run out of clicks on my Steyr (T/H), as in I have to turn all the way towards the T. What sort of adjustment can I do beyond using the T/H click? Changing sight radius? Bring the front sight closer? Bring the back sight further forward? Changing front sight?
If you are still shooting low at the limit of the upwards travel of the rear sight you need a shorter front sight blade.

With the opposite condition you can shim under the front sight. Or at least you can on a Morini.

Alternatively you could see if the Steyr Evo works? :D
Image Image
conradin

Post by conradin »

SamEEE wrote:
conradin wrote:I run out of clicks on my Steyr (T/H), as in I have to turn all the way towards the T. What sort of adjustment can I do beyond using the T/H click? Changing sight radius? Bring the front sight closer? Bring the back sight further forward? Changing front sight?
If you are still shooting low at the limit of the upwards travel of the rear sight you need a shorter front sight blade.

With the opposite condition you can shim under the front sight. Or at least you can on a Morini.

I use a Gehmann compensator.
DanielSwe

Post by DanielSwe »

Did you check under the sights? It might be that the grip is interfering with the sights.
Might have to remove some wood to make room.
hundert

Post by hundert »

While Steyr's clicks are more than enough. For whatever reason you need it, you can use higher front sight. Experiment with glueing a piece of dark paper on the front side that is slightly higher and see if it works. The front sight being higher the gun will shoot much lower. If it does work, ask somebody in the metal working to make you a new front sight from anodized aluminum. Do the opposite, get a lower front sight, if you want the gun to shoot higher which I guess is the case in your case.
X10

Post by X10 »

Did you drop the gun? Was it allways like that? Have you done any Work on the gun lately?

Something is not right.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:I use a Gehmann compensator.
Is the height of the front sight above the barrel the same as with the standard Steyr unit?

If not then you need to make it so.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

conradin wrote:
SamEEE wrote:

I use a Gehmann compensator.
Principle is the same.
Image Image
CWB

Post by CWB »

Probably a long shot (no pun intended), but have you tried different pellets? On my IZH-46M I found that JSB pellets shot low and took me right up to the limit of the adjustable sight travel. I switched to RWS (which grouped better anyway) and they shot a lot higher which allowed me to move the rear sight back into a reasonable range of adjustment.
dronning

Post by dronning »

When trouble shooting remotely I like to start with the basics so we are on the same page.
High hit – turn height-adjusting screw in direction H
Low hit – turn height-adjusting screw in direction T

Your AP is shooting low so when you adjust it you are actually raising the rear sight "T".

1st) Have you talked to anyone that installed the same compensator and did they have the same issue?

Trouble shooting questions
Did this just happen or has it been gradual?
If yes then it's a possible air leak/seal, regulator issue.
Did you do anything else beside installing the compensator?
Review what you did.
Were the barrel screws tightened correctly?

Did it occur right after installing the compensator?
Is it installed correctly?
Did you try reinstalling factory parts to see if you are OK.

If you narrow it down to the compensator install and everything else has been checked then as already stated your front sight needs to be lowered, or is there a lower sight available?

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
conradin

Post by conradin »

All good points, will check.