Steyr LP1 CO2 conversion

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Buck

Steyr LP1 CO2 conversion

Post by Buck »

Hello everyone

someone has offered me a Steyr LP1 which was converted from CO2 tot compressed air, and I have some questions about it.
He claims the valve and springs are also changed in this conversion. Is the pistol then the same a standard LP1 which was built in the factory for compressed air?
I've read somewhere online that the shotcount of the converted pistols is lower then the originals PCP's, can anyone confirm/verify this?
Are there any other things to watch out for when buying this kind of pistol?
How does it compare to an LP10? I've read that the LP10 is a further development from the LP1, but does it matter for a starting AP shooter?

Hoping for some answers
Buck
rmca

Re: Steyr LP1 CO2 conversion

Post by rmca »

Buck wrote:He claims the valve and springs are also changed in this conversion. Is the pistol then the same a standard LP1 which was built in the factory for compressed air?
Yes.
Buck wrote:I've read somewhere online that the shotcount of the converted pistols is lower than the originals PCP's, can anyone confirm/verify this?
You will get less shots from compressed air than you will with CO2. You should still get 150-180 shots from a full cylinder of air
Buck wrote:Are there any other things to watch out for when buying this kind of pistol?
Overall condition, how much the grip has been modified and how the rubber seals look (no cracks).
Buck wrote:How does it compare to an LP10? I've read that the LP10 is a further development from the LP1, but does it matter for a starting AP shooter?
The LP10 is another beast. The stabilizer alone makes a lot of difference. It's the LP1's evolution.
That being said, it doesn't matter to someone starting. They are both excellent guns.

I've converted a couple of LP1 from CO2 to Compressed air.

Hope this helps
Buck

Post by Buck »

rmca wrote: Hope this helps
It certainly does, thanks!
hundert

Post by hundert »

I have one converted,

however, there are two different CO2 versions, one where it says Steyr Compensator on the barrel sleeve, on the other it's just black, I have the one with compensator.

seals don't matter, they are easily replaced, just look at the overall condition. Grips don't matter, because you must fit it for your hand anyway (if you want to shoot well).

absorber does nothing to the score.
rmca

Post by rmca »

hundert wrote:seals don't matter, they are easily replaced, just look at the overall condition.
True, but they are a tell sign of how well the gun was maintain/shot.
hundert wrote:Grips don't matter, because you must fit it for your hand anyway (if you want to shoot well).
It matters when it comes down to price. It's a buyer's argument for lowering the price.
hundert wrote:absorber does nothing to the score.
Couldn't disagree more. It helps a lot with your follow thru by maintaining the gun still.
You don't need it until you reach 550 though...
hundert

Post by hundert »

I reached 550 a long time ago. Muzzle flip happens a long time after you hear the pellet hit the paper.
Absorbers, if anything, can only have negative effect on score, because all they do is make a simple design more complicated. Shooting outside in some light conditions, I can actually see the pellet flying towards and hitting the target and only then the sight get covered by the barrel.

ABSORBERS HAVE NO EFFECT ON SCORE

you can disable it on LP10 if you want, your score will not change a bit. I hate them, because they ruin my follow through, I need to feel the pellet exit.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

hundert wrote:Muzzle flip happens a long time after you hear the pellet hit the paper. Absorbers, if anything, can only have negative effect on score, because all they do is make a simple design more complicated.
Muzzle flip occurs just after the pellet has exited the barrel...You’re right that absorbers have no effect on score, but they do help make the follow through easier.
Getting accustomed to the recoil and muzzle flip takes more time to master than a recoilless gun.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Muzzle flip occurs just after the pellet has exited the barrel...You’re right that absorbers have no effect on score, but they do help make the follow through easier.
Getting accustomed to the recoil and muzzle flip takes more time to master than a recoilless gun.
Spot on Kevin.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

hundert wrote:ABSORBERS HAVE NO EFFECT ON SCORE
Incorporation of an absorber means one more variable is brought into the gun. Some absorbers are more variable (e.g. the on of fwb p44s) than others...
But the reduction of muzzle lift at discharge (and hence better/easier follow through) may outweight the drawback. Just my thoughts.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The Morinis have no absorber, and it doesn't seem to affect their performance at the top levels of the sport. It may feel more reassuring when the pistol doesn't jump as much, but as a practical matter, it doesn't make any difference IF your technique is solid.
rmca

Post by rmca »

kevinweiho wrote:Getting accustomed to the recoil and muzzle flip takes more time to master than a recoilless gun.
Exactly.
Gwhite wrote:It may feel more reassuring when the pistol doesn't jump as much, but as a practical matter, it doesn't make any difference IF your technique is solid.
There is no substitute for good technique, but in my opinion, the absorber does help master that technique, and as a result, your score. YMMV