Will my age be a problem?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dr Doctor

Will my age be a problem?

Post by Dr Doctor »

Hello! I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Mark, and I'm a college student in my twenties. I'm in pharmacy school right now, but I'm just about to be done!

My question is... If someone is interested in 10m standing air rifle, is age an issue? I've only recently stumbled across this sport, and it really speaks to me. If I wanted to compete at a high level, am I going to be blown away by the kids that have been shooting since they were very young?

I've shot different kinds of rifles in the past. Actual firearms and such, and I've loved it! I'm worried that my competitive nature will be discouraged by younger kids outshooting me. I want to invest wholeheartedly into this sport. I've done my fair share of research and hope that I can learn well.

I've done quite a bit of digging, and I'm looking for my first air rifle now. Thanks guys!
mtncwru

Re: Will my age be a problem?

Post by mtncwru »

Yep, you're going to get beat by 12-year-olds. And you're going to get beat by people in their seventies. And you're going to get beat by girls, both teenage and octogenarian. And by boys of all age groups. And all of that is true no matter YOUR age!

But the truly awesome thing about shooting, though, is that you're never too young to start (well, once you can reach the trigger :-) ), and you're never too old to still compete, if that's what you want to do. The only thing that really matters is the work that YOU put into it, not how long someone else has been at it. Now go call Jim E, get an SSP to start (so you can afford all the other stuff you need in the meanwhile), and start training!
Dr Doctor

Post by Dr Doctor »

mtncwru wrote:Yep, you're going to get beat by 12-year-olds. And you're going to get beat by people in their seventies. And you're going to get beat by girls, both teenage and octogenarian. And by boys of all age groups. And all of that is true no matter YOUR age!

But the truly awesome thing about shooting, though, is that you're never too young to start (well, once you can reach the trigger :-) ), and you're never too old to still compete, if that's what you want to do. The only thing that really matters is the work that YOU put into it, not how long someone else has been at it. Now go call Jim E, get an SSP to start (so you can afford all the other stuff you need in the meanwhile), and start training!
Any rifles that you recommend specifically? I was thinking SSP was the way to go over spring action.. But it seems that even the cheapest SSPs are expensive.

Any tips?
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

Dr Doctor,

I got started in 10m air rifle in my 30s. If you want to play, you have to pay. There is no substitute for a decent rifle and well fitted jacket. If you want a good SSP, you are looking at something like a FWB 600 series or Anschutz SuperAir 2002. But for the prices those generally go for used, might as well buy a new Hammerli AR20 or Air Arms MPR. The only thing that stops me from recommending a Crosman Challenger is the trigger, the pull weight is set for Sporter not precision.

If you just want to get better, you can try to go cheap. I did. Daisy 953, Daisy 753 (CMP), Crosman Challenger, now Hammerli AR20. I didn't mind buying sporter rifles since I have two sons, and it is good to have enough air rifles to go around for the boys. But I learned a lot going up the ladder. Shooting sporter is tough, you don't get the shooting suit and you have to deal with a stiffer (by a little bit) trigger. I wish there were an NRA or ISSF adult 3 position league for people starting out later in life to bust into the sport with a lower dollar barrier to entry.

And yes, you will get beat by a lot of people, but as long as you enjoy the sport it is much like golf in that you are really trying to beat yourself.

Hope this is helpful, and I hope you have fun.

Jimro
Dr Doctor

Post by Dr Doctor »

Jimro wrote:Dr Doctor,

I got started in 10m air rifle in my 30s. If you want to play, you have to pay. There is no substitute for a decent rifle and well fitted jacket. If you want a good SSP, you are looking at something like a FWB 600 series or Anschutz SuperAir 2002. But for the prices those generally go for used, might as well buy a new Hammerli AR20 or Air Arms MPR. The only thing that stops me from recommending a Crosman Challenger is the trigger, the pull weight is set for Sporter not precision.

If you just want to get better, you can try to go cheap. I did. Daisy 953, Daisy 753 (CMP), Crosman Challenger, now Hammerli AR20. I didn't mind buying sporter rifles since I have two sons, and it is good to have enough air rifles to go around for the boys. But I learned a lot going up the ladder. Shooting sporter is tough, you don't get the shooting suit and you have to deal with a stiffer (by a little bit) trigger. I wish there were an NRA or ISSF adult 3 position league for people starting out later in life to bust into the sport with a lower dollar barrier to entry.

And yes, you will get beat by a lot of people, but as long as you enjoy the sport it is much like golf in that you are really trying to beat yourself.

Jimro
I appreciate the advice! I'll look at all the rifles you mentioned. I guess this forum is a great place to get started.

Thanks!
Mark
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm about to turn 33. I picked up air rifle as a way to practice my offhand for 3P smallbore matches, it's the hardest position and the one where matches are won and lost. In my area there aren't any air rifle for adults I've found.

I bought a used FWB 601 left handed rifle. Its a beautiful rifle, it easily has a trigger as nice as my anschutz 1907. They only issue you'll likely have with these type of older ssp rifles is dry rotted or aged seals. I had my exhaust seal blow after 50 rounds. Jim who imports and sells a lot of these helped me with parts and the install. After fixing the rifle has been flawless. Pilk will rebuild all the seals as well. If you have $2000 you can jump up to a nice pcp rifle. IMO I'd rather have a nice used SSP than a cheap PCP.
Modena

Post by Modena »

Im just starting small bore and I'm 39. You're fine.
abinok

Post by abinok »

Dr Doctor wrote:
Jimro wrote:Dr Doctor,

Jimro
I appreciate the advice! I'll look at all the rifles you mentioned. I guess this forum is a great place to get started.

Thanks!
Mark
The Crossman challenger is certainly setup for sporter out of the box, but the trigger can be improved to rival the Air Arms MPR, and AR20 with the removal of a single spring.
The trigger is identical on the Challenger and the Marauder. Instructions for the trigger are below, as well as a video.

http://www.marauderairrifle.com/forum/v ... =28&t=2262

https://youtu.be/f6NjoQ7bzMc

Ive owned two CH 2009s in the last year, and both are as mechanically accurate as anything that's available new for less than a thousand bucks. Walmart will ship them new to your local store for pickup for $600. They are commonly available used for between $425, and $375.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

mtncwru wrote:Yep, you're going to get beat by 12-year-olds. And you're going to get beat by people in their seventies. And you're going to get beat by girls, both teenage and octogenarian. And by boys of all age groups. And all of that is true no matter YOUR age!
Isn't that the truth!
Jimro wrote:...I wish there were an NRA or ISSF adult 3 position league for people starting out later in life to bust into the sport with a lower dollar barrier to entry.

Jimro
Me too! 3-P adult air rifle competitions are very thin on the ground. It seems like one can compete in a Nationals, but how are we supposed to get there without local and regional adult leagues?
Dr Doctor wrote:Hello! I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Mark, and I'm a college student in my twenties. I'm in pharmacy school right now, but I'm just about to be done!

My question is... If someone is interested in 10m standing air rifle, is age an issue? I've only recently stumbled across this sport, and it really speaks to me. If I wanted to compete at a high level, am I going to be blown away by the kids that have been shooting since they were very young?

I've shot different kinds of rifles in the past. Actual firearms and such, and I've loved it! I'm worried that my competitive nature will be discouraged by younger kids outshooting me. I want to invest wholeheartedly into this sport. I've done my fair share of research and hope that I can learn well.

I've done quite a bit of digging, and I'm looking for my first air rifle now. Thanks guys!

I started smallbore 4-P shooting at 45 years old with a sporter CZ, moved up to a used smallbore target rifle at 47 and this year at 49, started shooting indoor 4-P with an air rifle. I bought a Daisy 887 from the CMP (great deal!), and also happened upon a used FWB C60 which I also bought. Our small club of adult air rifle shooters shoot in the Vermont Winter Postal League. Here we can see how many great shooters there are out there. As long as one keeps things in perspective, it is a lot of fun (like golf). My average scores have gone up around 10 points/season. If that trend continues, in about four more years I should be able to compete with all those high school students (humor). There are many great shooters out there.

Regarding the perspective part-I shoot on average one day/week most of the year. I would love to improve my average much faster, but do not have the time to shoot much more than this. College and High School shooters get a lot more practice in per week that I do. So, my level of competition is still very enjoyable and I am still improving, but will not be beating any of the great kids out there very soon. You may climb the ladder faster that me, being in your 20's. For me, it is still worthwhile.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Will my age be a problem?"

To answer your question in whatever context, the answer will always be a hearty, "Hell, yes!"
Dr Doctor

Post by Dr Doctor »

bberg7794 wrote: Regarding the perspective part-I shoot on average one day/week most of the year. I would love to improve my average much faster, but do not have the time to shoot much more than this. College and High School shooters get a lot more practice in per week that I do. So, my level of competition is still very enjoyable and I am still improving, but will not be beating any of the great kids out there very soon. You may climb the ladder faster that me, being in your 20's. For me, it is still worthwhile.
Thanks man! I can appreciate that sentiment. I'm excited to outshoot myself, and thats fun enough to get me into the sport.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

The CMP has Daisy SSP 753's for around $125 shipped to your house. They may be a little rough looking, and the trigger is kind of crappy, but can be smithed. They have Walther Lothar barrels which are very accurate. Lots of folks at our club (50 and older) start out with them and upgrade after they decide if they like the sport. Some seem to like the Crosman Challenger and shoot them well if you want to go with PCP, the latest air technology. You can also find FWB 600 series and Anschutz 2002 SSP rifles in the $500-900 range. Never too old to start. We have folks in their 70's just starting out and having a blast.
Dr Doctor

Post by Dr Doctor »

45ACP223 wrote:The CMP has Daisy SSP 753's for around $125 shipped to your house. They may be a little rough looking, and the trigger is kind of crappy, but can be smithed. They have Walther Lothar barrels which are very accurate. Lots of folks at our club (50 and older) start out with them and upgrade after they decide if they like the sport. Some seem to like the Crosman Challenger and shoot them well if you want to go with PCP, the latest air technology. You can also find FWB 600 series and Anschutz 2002 SSP rifles in the $500-900 range. Never too old to start. We have folks in their 70's just starting out and having a blast.
I think the Daisy 753 is a great place to start!

I don't currently have access to the CMP offerings because I'm not affiliated/registered with them to purchase guns from them. Do you have any tips on how to get started with the CMP so that I can purchase their secondhand rifles?

Thanks!
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

You can join a CMP affiliated club. That would allow you to receive the CMP pricing. There is a way to search for affiliated clubs on the CMP website.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

You certainly picked the right career to be a rifle shooter. Four of the best rifle shooters I have ever known are pharmacists. All four are multiple national champions.

If losing to 13 year old girls is a problem for you forget rifle. If money is a problem go find a cheaper sport like racing 12 meter yachts.

However there is no reason you can't learn the sport. You are young, educated, have few (I assume) other responsiblities and some disposible income.

As to equipment; everybody has an opinion. The bottom line is, there is no quicker way to get discouraged and quit, than trying to compete with bad equipment. Remember the 10 ring on a 10 meter rifle target is 0.5 mm in diameter add the 4.5 mm pellet and you have to shoot in a circle 5.0 mm in diameter. You won't be doing that right away but there is enough to think about without having to worry if your bad shot was you or your equipment. Also many of the toy guns sold by the CMP are designed for kids and an adult would have trouble fitting it to a position.

My recomendation for what it worth is to find a used good quality rifle that you don't have to cock. FWB C60 is an older CO2 rifle that can be had for about $650 if you are patient. Anschutz and Walther also have similar models and these rifles, if taken care of can be very competitive. As to SSP s, the men's course of fire it 60 shots and that gets tiresome cocking an SSP.

A coat, pants, and boots are also necessary. Check with Champions Choice, Champion Shooters Supply and others. They have reasonable entry level suits in the $250-300 range and Champion Shooters maintains a good supply of used coats and pants for much less and will take yours back when you are ready to move up.

Good luck and remember when you get good, you will want to start shooting smallbore position. Opps! There goes another $10 grand down the rat hole and thousands of hours of practice.