Air Pistol for new shooter

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gwsb

Air Pistol for new shooter

Post by gwsb »

I would like to start shooting air pistol again after a decades long lapse. I would like some ideas as to the pistol I should buy.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on it and I am torn between a new "cheap" gun like an Alpha Proj or IZH and a "cheap" used older top of the line model like FWB or Steyr in CO2 or compressed air.

One thing this site does not have a shortage of, is opinions, so let me hear some please.

Thanks
rmca

Re: Air Pistol for new shooter

Post by rmca »

gwsb wrote: I am torn between a new "cheap" gun like an Alpha Proj or IZH and a "cheap" used older top of the line model like FWB or Steyr in CO2 or compressed air.
The first is a big mistake in my opinion, the second is a far better solution.

You will never get the same feeling with a cheap gun, and you'll lose interest sooner than later.

An older top level pistol is always a better option, because it's better build, easier to source parts, has more adjustments, etc.

I started with a new Gamo Compact, and even after a lot of tuning and messing about it's never as good as an older FWB or Walther from my club. Today I have an LP10 and it was one of the best buys I've ever done.

Hope this helps
Rover

Post by Rover »

Probably everyone on this site (including you) knows what I'm going to say.

Try to find a single stroke pneumatic (Pardini K58, FWB 100 series, Walther LPM1, or even the lowly IZH 46M). You will save on the "extras" and still have a highly competitive, quality gun.

If you can't find one of the above, get a top name CO2 gun because it is NOT second rate and CO2 is cheap and easy to get. It will also make the PCP Kool-Ade guzzlers feel bad when you kick their butts.

Do NOT settle for a crap gun. You will never be happy.

Listen to my "cerveja buddy" above.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Nothing lowly about an Izzy. Just shave the shipping crate off the grip inside.
Owning both an Izzy and an Alpha Proj, I've got to say, avoid the Alpha.

I'm still torn between my Izzy and the Walther LP400. I shoot similar mediocre scores and the Izzy feels just as good.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

If you're planning on competing in a national or international level, get a first tier CO2 or compressed air pistol. For casual shooting in the house, the SSP’s would make a fine choice.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I would get an older Tier 1 AP. Either a SSP or co2 pistol. That should be affordable enough, and give you the quality of a tier 1 pistol.
I started with a Pardini K58, then went to a Walther CPM-1 (co2) when I had trouble working the lever of the SSP.
I still use the K58 when I travel back home, by air. No hassles with compressed gas.
Both the Pardini and Walther were bought from Pilkington's, and I have been very happy with them. I have no regrets about buying used.
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

Speaking as a beginner... I liked the Alfa, but if you have XL or even L sized hands you can't get a grip that fits your hand. I sold it after I bought an FWB LP80, which I shot more consistently.

My favorite so far, though, is the IZH-46m. Good balance, good trigger, and a great grip, if you're willing to work on it. I like this a gun a lot and have been shooting very well with it. But curiously enough, i shoot almost as well with my Daisy 777! The trigger on the Daisy is nowhere as good as any of the other guns, but it has excellent sights and after some adjustment the grip fits me very well.
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

If you don't want to mess with the gasses. FWB 65,80 or 90 are very competive and darn accurate. The FSW 100,102 and 103 are also nice. The only problem I have with the cockers is that cocking them 60 times in a match can become a little redundant!! Good luck on your search.
rock4gzus

Post by rock4gzus »

I am just a "basement pinker" who shoots weekly with a half dozen friends and am so glad that I listened to and followed Rover's advice to keep things simple. I started with an Izzy 46m and then shortly thereafter found a nice FWB 65 Mk II. Everything was fine ... until I acquired an FWB 103. Not surprisingly, Izzy has been sold due to my preference for the 103 but the 65 with a set of Topgun grips is still a gun that I greatly enjoy. Shooting without the need of pumps, tanks or cartridges is perfect for me.

Thanks Rover!
Misny

Post by Misny »

I think the FWB 65 is still a good choice. A good used one won't break the bank and there are several places around that still work on them. Parts are still available, including after market grips. A good used CO2 pistol is another option, although you have to mess with getting a tank with syphon (not cheap), weighing cylinders, etc. I'm not knocking the IZH 46M (they have a big following), I just don't have a lot of experience with them.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Thanks for your input guys. I have bought a Walther LP 201. In today's world where matches are 60 shots I really don't think it makes sense to shoot a ssp rifle or pistol .

Thanks for your input.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Another Kool-Ade guzzler, right George?
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

I love my Izh-46M with custom fitted grips and well adjusted trigger. Shot my first match last Sunday (Sectional). I was told I did well. I never tried high end PCP's, I don't think I reached a point where my pistol is holding me back. When I am on a roll, I can hold the 9 ring with 1/3 of the shots in the 10. That doesn't last for long, but the pistol can do it. I have shot four 10's in a row as well.
Last edited by Lenny on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Well Rover call it what you will. I personally don't see the advantage in shooting air with 1970's technology.

1. Air guns are much more complicated inside than 22 rifles. A 1980 Anschutz 1813 is just as good today (barreled action) as a new 1913 assuming the barrel is still accurate or has been replaced. A 1980 air rifle was a very different animal that today's air rifle.

2. Why shoot a gun 60 times that you have to expend the energy to cock. When the course of fire was expanded from 40 to 60 shots for men, I quickly moved to the FWB C60. Much easier to shoot 60 shots with than the Walther LGR I had been using and not just the effort but the lack of movement between shots was a huge improvement.

The bottom line is today you can either shoot an air gun you don't cock or you can lose.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Do you think there is much difference between a Walther LPM1 and a Walther LGR?

I was talking to a smallbore shooter this morning who said he trains with an air rifle at home.

He said he loved the LGR, but it was much easier to use a PCP in prone, since he didn't have to break postion.

I'll buy that.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Well I think I know the answer.

The LPM-1 is a luftpistolen and the LGR is a luftgewehre.

I still don't understand why you would want to cock an air rifle or pistol when there are guns available that you don't have to get out of position or expend energy to cock that can shoot one shot through the same hole as the last one shot after shot. It just defies logic.
Misny

Post by Misny »

gwsb wrote:Thanks for your input guys. I have bought a Walther LP 201. In today's world where matches are 60 shots I really don't think it makes sense to shoot a ssp rifle or pistol .

Thanks for your input.
Good choice. I once shot an air pistol match with a fellow whot was using one of these. He shot an extremely good score.