GSP .32 old model.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

GSP .32 old model.

Post by Alex L »

I have an old model .32 Walther GSP that is playing up.
It is a combination long rifle .22 and .32 .
Can anyone tell me if the recoil spring is different for the 2 calibers? It looks like they are exactly the same - but are they?
The gun is about 30 years old, and I wonder if the spring has lost tension. I find that some shots are in the 2 o'clock area, and sometimes in the 1 or 2 rings. These shots are not cutting cleanly. I have not had problems with the powder, or the cases, and I am loading as I always have done for the past 30 years. I use 1.5+ powder - velocity around 690. I used to shoot around the 570s. Now I know I am old but I can still hold the gun in the 9 ring- most times. I wonder if the spring has gone soft, or is there another problem which I cannot identify.

If anyone can give me some help, and ideas where to look to correct the flyers I would be very grateful.
Thanks, Alex.in sunny Melbourne!
jenrick

Re: GSP .32 old model.

Post by jenrick »

I'm not familiar with the GSP in particular, so my advice is general. Recoil springs usually effect function more then accuracy. Normally a worn recoil spring will result in failures to feed/extract/etc. rather then a change in shot location. Depending exactly on how the gun goes together, if it doesn't fire from a locked breech, it could be possible that a weak spring is part of the problem. Basically the slide might not return fully into battery, potentially causing issues. I'd first off check that everything in the sighting system is tight and not capable of movement. Assuming that everythings fine there, then depending on how the gun functions its possible the recoil spring could be causing problems.

-Jenrick
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I wonder if the spring has gone soft
Age has this effect Alex.

Seriously though, I would chrono at least 10 shots...make sure all shots are close in fps.

I would imagine that the force of cycling the .32 s&wL would seat the next round in the breach correctly.

Does the barrel have any lead deposits ?

Could the powder have been contaminated by light, moisture or age ?
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

If in doubt, replace the spring.

Strip the upper assembly removing the barrel and bolt. With a small lamp, look down the housing to where the bolt hits the rear of the housing. If it is hitting, replace the spring. Another test is to apply some paint to the end of the bolt, fire the weapon, strip it down and check if the paint is being hammered away.

When you do buy a spring, consider buying two. Keep the new one as a reference for length. Or, if you are good at keeping records, merely measure the new spring's overall length prior to installation and write it down.

Cheers,

Dave
Last edited by fc60 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shootaholic

Post by shootaholic »

Hi Alex,
First take the barrel out and check to make sure there is not a bulge ring, I have seen barrels with 5 wascutters stuck one after another.
Next mike your current batch of projectiles, Walthers usually like .314 diam. If a projectile is undersize it will not group.
As already mentioned in you replies, check for signs of leading.
Then check you have enough flare on the case before seating the projectile, otherwise lead will be shaved off thereby making the projectile undersize and therefore no accuracy.
I use Vindicator projectile from Tex in Cairns, they are very well made but the lube has been suspect, I tumble lube them with Lee liquid Alox which solved the problem.
Hope this helps,
Shootaholic