What are the best ISSF legal (pistol event) shoes available?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Murph

What are the best ISSF legal (pistol event) shoes available?

Post by Murph »

I am looking to buy shooting shoes, legal for ISSF pistol events. I see that Champions Choice has shoes at a good price. Before I buy a set, I'd like some feedback. I am sure the CC ones are a great bargain. Also curious if those CC shoes tend to run big or small, or if their size chart seems to match up with your other shoes.
And, if price is not a big factor, who's shoes are the best? What are the top Rapid, AP, and FP shooters using?
Bob-Riegl

Re: What are the best ISSF legal (pistol event) shoes availa

Post by Bob-Riegl »

I personally like the Anschutz brand they run wide for me 12EE. They are comfortable and seem to wear well. "Doc"
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Murph wrote:Before I buy a set, I'd like some feedback.
Wait until you break 590 two matches in a row, then worry about buying pistol shoes.
j-team

Post by j-team »

john bickar wrote:Wait until you break 590 two matches in a row, then worry about buying pistol shoes.
Yup... I watched Kezel of France win the shoot off for silver in CF at the 1994 World Champs while wearing sandals... From that day on I promised myself that I wouldn't waste money on shooting shoes for pistol!
Last edited by j-team on Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murph

Post by Murph »

john bickar wrote:
Wait until you break 590 two matches in a row, then worry about buying pistol shoes.

Good point. I'm probably over-thinking. That tends to happen among the target shooters.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I asked Arnie Vitarbo the same question. He told me to buy regular "coaches shoes"; just lace-up, rubber sole, plain ol' oxfords.

I frequently use my "penny loafers."
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

j-team wrote:
Yup... I watched Kezel of France win the shoot off for silver in CF at the 1994 World Champs while wearing sandals... From that day on I promised myself that I wouldn't waste money on shooting shoes for pistol!
Don't follow this example for footwear. Sandals are not legal pistol shoes. 6.19.2.7 states that all types of sandals are not legal.

Skateboarder shoes work well. And they are cheap.

As John Bickar inferred, shoes are the least of your problems.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Marc Orvin wrote:
j-team wrote:
Don't follow this example for footwear. Sandals are not legal pistol shoes. 6.19.2.7 states that all types of sandals are not legal.

Skateboarder shoes work well. And they are cheap.

Hi Marc, I also read quite a few years ago that Skate Board shoes were much cheaper and work

just as well as commited name brand pistol shooting shoes.

Please heed this advice Murph.

Tony
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Rover wrote:I asked Arnie Vitarbo the same question. He told me to buy regular "coaches shoes"; just lace-up, rubber sole, plain ol' oxfords.

I frequently use my "penny loafers."
This is all you need.
An unstable base can be the base of many problems, hence good shoes and core strength exercises can be more important than endless shooting practice.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'll buy that....these guys are whining about having to cock a SSP.

(Siordian says, "They're pussies!")
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Adidas Powerlift 2.0 weightlifting shoes can be had pretty inexpensively. Really firm insole and flat outsole with a bit of heel lift.
Google images: https://goo.gl/jj9DMu
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

wasatch wrote:Adidas Powerlift 2.0 weightlifting shoes can be had pretty inexpensively. Really firm insole and flat outsole with a bit of heel lift.
How are they on the flexibility test?
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

The weight lifters shoes were the most popular amongst the Koreans and Chinese at the big shoots I've been to. The flexibility is down to the make and model of shoe. Some have wooden components in the front end of the sole and while the shoe would bend at the arch area I doubt would pass the issf standard flex test as it looks for flex further forward.

I am looking for a pair as my sauers are getting a bit past it, but no one seems to stock them, so you need to buy mail order and send back what you don't like.

Are special shoes needed? No. Do they do any harm? No. I like to keep a pair of shoes purely for shooting, and my sauers have been used constantly for five years, so not a major investment when longevity is considered.
McT
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

mctrucky wrote:I like to keep a pair of shoes purely for shooting
This is sound advice. You don't need to spend Air Jordan money on shoes for pistol, but don't wear the shoes you use for pistol to cut the grass or what-have-you.
PirateJohn

Re: What are the best ISSF legal (pistol event) shoes available?

Post by PirateJohn »

I just use an old pair of Adidas Sambas. They're perfect for me.
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

wasatch wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:38 am Adidas Powerlift 2.0 weightlifting shoes can be had pretty inexpensively. Really firm insole and flat outsole with a bit of heel lift.
I bought these and they are good. Flex is 'legal'. But I don't walk normal with them.
I put them on AT the shooting spot and only take a few stept so they stay as firm as possible.
I bought the powerlift 4.0 at adidas during a discount weekend
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

john bickar wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:39 pm Wait until you break 590 two matches in a row, then worry about buying pistol shoes.
What he (and Rover) said.

I bought a pair of the Corami's from Schießsport Buinger - they're excellent quality and provide a very stable platform. Frankly, I think there's wisdom in using your resources on other things (targets, range time, whatever) - at least for people like me who have yet to break 500 and don't have infinite resources.

On sizing, like I've posted before - don't go by sizing, go by foot tracing. Sizing is so variable that you will inevitably be disappointed regardless of what you buy and who you buy it from. I suspect any good boot or shoe maker will agree.

Good luck.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

john bickar wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:39 pm
Not everyone wears sneakers daily. I have one old pair I sometimes use when I cut my grass, that’s it. I don’t own a pair that I keep in my house. There was a post a few weeks ago where this;
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product ... air--rifle
was posted. Try shooting in cowboy boots and tell me you need to be a 590 shooter before you spend 50 bucks on footwear. If you own skateboard shoes already I wouldn’t bother. Compared to what you have to buy for rifle, it’s pretty small change. I don’t think anyone expects them to be a huge game changer but at least they are specifically designed for their use. If an Olympic pistol champ decided to take up running, he/she wouldn’t wear pistol shoes because they already owned them.
m1963

Re: What are the best ISSF legal (pistol event) shoes available?

Post by m1963 »

Hello-

I have a totally collapsed L1 vertebrae (an old ice hockey injury; yes I still play competitively).

This year I started to notice, more and more, that my right leg was completely numb while shooting. I recently read that Sauer pistol shooting shoes are specifically designed to relieve pressure on the back during a match; and reluctantly bought a pair. What a surprise it was to find that my leg no longer went numb during a match. Am I buying points? No. What I am doing with the shoes is leveling the playing field with those who do not yet have debilitating injuries.

Others may have similar reasons for using shoes of this type. I believe the argument that one is trying to buy points simply lacks merit and holds people back from buying the equipment they actually need; to achieve the best scores they can.

Best regards,
m1963
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

toddinjax wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:18 pm
john bickar wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:39 pm
Not everyone wears sneakers daily. I have one old pair I sometimes use when I cut my grass, that’s it. I don’t own a pair that I keep in my house. There was a post a few weeks ago where this;
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product ... air--rifle
was posted. Try shooting in cowboy boots and tell me you need to be a 590 shooter before you spend 50 bucks on footwear. If you own skateboard shoes already I wouldn’t bother. Compared to what you have to buy for rifle, it’s pretty small change. I don’t think anyone expects them to be a huge game changer but at least they are specifically designed for their use. If an Olympic pistol champ decided to take up running, he/she wouldn’t wear pistol shoes because they already owned them.
I train in socks.